Can't Find "Twang"

Rate this topic

johndavis

Rach said that type 2 compression is adduction of the false folds.

Something I had a bad experience with. I tried to "activate" the false folds to add "distortion," Twice. Gave myself partial laryngitis, twice. Why? Because I don't think that I know everything, surprising as that may be for some people to read. After the second time, which took another additional two weeks of nothing but low volume speaking and only when necessary, followed by light descending slides to re-integrate coordination, I spent some time in some severe self-directed butt-kicking for doing that.

Felt even more stupid when I made the mistake of reading something about anatomy and learned that what is called the "False Vocal Folds" is actually a membrane, something of a bump, in most people (to account for genetic mutation in individuals where they are more prominent, something that cannot be "trained") and this membrane has the express job of releasing mucus to hydrate the surface of the vocal folds, in addition to the systemic hydration of drinking water, to have more water in secretions, anyway.

So, with my limited understanding of anatomy, I am still not understanding how one activates FVF. Not that I want to. I gave that nonsense up the second time I lost most of my voice. I decided it was better to be labeled lazy and still singing when I am 80, than to have nothing left.

And, just about every book I have read states that the FVF do not have a part in phonation, and other than being an object in the way, do not really have a part in resonance.

Someone, prove me wrong, preferrably with a peer-reviewed article.

it would be impossible to sing with an open throat position, cause the only thing possible would be CVT's grunt xD (lots of air, everything vibrating, the vocal cords dont touch eachother).

Hahaha. True. I want to learn grunt now just so I can use it and say I've got an open throat.

Thanks, Rach, that's exactly the kind of thing I was looking for. So,there is some sound you can make in the throat area that is separate or in conjunction with what you do with the true folds. I can make some throaty sounds myself and the get snot smacked out of me in a review because it did not sound like opera. At least there's a scientific basis for it.

With that video and M's description I can see the flap. it was hard to tell if it was vibrating or just as likely, providing a vestibule to amplify the low frequency. For the low fundamental is happening, it looks like, with the undulation of the true folds so slow you can actually see it happening. In which case, is that flap we see closing partially, is that the epiglottis and should the epiglottis be re-named the false folds, wrestling the term away from the membrane that hydrates the true folds?

That's making better sense, Rach. Now, is this narrowing of the pharyngeal cavity, especially the lower part of it, is that the process of twang, creating a smaller resonating chamber to fit a shorter wavelength note, divorced from the concept of twang as an accent peculiar to the southern USA?

And, if so, it looks like this "twang" happens naturally, without specific training.

Do we know if the subject is a trained singer?

Great videos. Of course twanging is a form of constriciton. I think the confusion is that the "constrictors" are often used accidentally by many beginners. The unintentional use of the constrictors in singing is counterproductive. So when we say we want an open throat we are really saying we don't want the constrictors interfering. But like Raching noted, other parts of the throat automatically narrow as the pitch goes higher.