Tips on Vibrato

Rate this topic

MDEW

Growing up my influences have been Paul Simon, James Taylor and other Folk style singers. Most of them did not use much vibrato. Occasionally I can get a descent vibrato going but it does not come natural to me. Can you give any tips to jumpstart a vibrato?

There's a wide range. From the fast glottal vibrato of Colin Hayes, to the wider, more luxuriant vibrato of Geoff Tate.

What I have found is when the breath pressure is right and the resonance is right, basically when you have found the right formant, vibrato appears.

Remind me that I need to record my debauched versions of "Sole Mio" in English and Tex-Mex and send them to you. I can't post them here because they contain profanity, in English and in Spanish.

Sit cross-legged on the floor, hands on each knee, palms facing up, index finger meeting thumb and repeat this phrase.

"goosenfrabe."

:D

Sorry, just being a twit. The image popped in my mind, to achieve balance, and I just had to share it.

That's an interesting topic that has two main thoughts. 1) Vibrato is developed or "manufactured". There are few ways to do this - solar plexus, abdominal, and direct control of the larynx. 2) Vibrato comes automatically and naturally when everything else is correct. The result of two forces tugging at each other and alternating energies. Similar to if you held your arm straight out for a period of time - at some point your arm would start shaking.

Many people think the "natural vibrato" is better than the manufactured vibrato. And they think that if you manufacture your vibrato it is more difficult to develop a "natural vibrato" later on.

Some people think you can "induce" a natural vibrato by singing a rapid scale lets say a 5 note ascending scale, gently pulsating every note, letting each note fall a little in pitch before going to the next higher note, and then holding the last note but keeping the pulsation going. that's how I developed it, and I learned this from a classical teacher. But you have to watch that it doesn't turn into an abdominal vibrato (which it did for me at first).

Sit cross-legged on the floor, hands on each knee, palms facing up, index finger meeting thumb and repeat this phrase.

"goosenfrabe."

:D

Sorry, just being a twit. The image popped in my mind, to achieve balance, and I just had to share it.

Do I have to concentrate on my Navel also.....er...... was that Nasal.........OHMMMMMM....

Thanks Geno, Occasionally when singing something like "How great Thou Art" the vibrato will come naturally also when singing low( volume ) and by myself. I can make vibrato purposely if I am Imitating an Opera singer( does not sound anything like Pavarotti) but it still sounds contrived. Would this contrived sound lesson if I keep using this as a way to teach myself vibrato?

MDEW - I had a previous teacher that taught a more contrived version by directly oscillating the pitch using the muscles in the larynx directly. I did that for a while but I didn't like it. My second teacher taught the other, more indirect method that is more natural sounding - that's what I found the best for me. But I can't advocate any single way though as there are strong opinions either way. There are plenty of respected teachers that teach the direct oscillation of the larynx method.

I have observed several different "techniques" ( correct or not). I have detected Tongue vibration, Jaw shaking, Larynx bobbing... All in relation to vibrato. My own feeling is that it will come when support and emission are in place.

Those times that it did come naturally, I could not suppress it and I did not intentionally initiate it.

Some feel that my voice is missing this quality but still the majority of the songs that I personally listen to do not contain vibrato at least not that I can detect.

NO NO NO NOOooo... those are all reflections of tension...the enemy of the voice.

I do agree that is why I put techniques in quotation marks and added Correct or not. By the way those observations were of Opera singers.