I suck at singing, I think it's because of my breathing. Please help?

Rate this topic

Shadow Light Master

I'm a fledgling singer, and I love singing wherever I go with complete disregard for the ears of the people around me.

My main problem, I think, is that I'm not breathing properly when I sing. People keep saying "Expand your stomach, expand your diaphragm, it's like you're yawning, it's like you're yelling, it's like you're speaking," but no matter what I can't seem to force myself to do it.

Well, I think if I lay on my back, I can sort of force myself to do it... Any advice? I'm mainly having the problem when trying to sing high notes. My singing teacher says I'm a tenor, but my natural speaking voice is pretty low. I've been trying to imitate Thom Yorke of Radiohead. But I can't sing well at all.

Learn some breathing exercises and do them daily.

Try "The Voice Book" by Kate Devore and "The Ultimate Breathing Workout" by Jaime Vendera.

Also, here's a search for "breathing exercises for singing" on Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=breathing+exercises+for+singing&oq=breathing+exercises+for+singing

I'm a fledgling singer, and I love singing wherever I go with complete disregard for the ears of the people around me.

I do that, too. It's just that I am big and scary and people are afraid to run me off.

But yeah, try all 3 different breathing sensations at the same time.