Toni Braxton's song "Unbreak my heart"

• TMV World Legacy Member

Hi everyone!

I love Toni Braxton's songs and I tried UNBREAK MY HEART. I don't take any vocal lessons and have never taken any in my life. One reason is - no teachers. But I dream to find one. I can't be a teacher to myself that's why I need your opinions.

As this site is english I don't think it'd be right if I upload songs in my language. So I sang in english though I know it sounds more like any other unknown language than like english lol.....:D The recording is live.:rolleyes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-6-KKtqby0&feature=share&list=UU_sgBi9e-NZbiqF6cILvS5w

Hello! Well, overall it does not sound bad. Many things actually you captured very nicely, on a few spots, at least to me it feels you know what you have to do, but your voice is not responding accordingly, so yeah its a technical issue.

Still, on the second half of the song, you didnt have the same confidence of the first part. I dont think its a technical issue, do you have it clearly on your mind like you have the first part?

It does get the attention from the start, liked it up to the first chorus.

More importantly, you display a lot of musicianship, and your voice is really interesting to listen to, very distinct tone. Dunno how and where you are looking for a teacher, hit me via email if you need help. Should really nurture it, lots of potential.

The best you could do on the moment to deliver the song better, is to define it better in your head beforehand, I think it will improve a lot. Including definning the marking of the phrasing on the beat. The first chorus was gonna be awesome but on "say" you missed the beat, and it kinda lost that "tight and suffered" feel. Do you understand?

GL! :)

Thank you for the post! Yes, I think I know where I'm off pitch and off beat. I don't actually remember very good the melody of the song and I don't know what I should do to memorize it better. :)

High! You have a beautiful tone. Yeah, you were a little pitchy but don't stress over it too much, where all hear to improve!

Pitch Issues.

If you had to push to hit the note, you should sing the trouble parts of the song on a liproll. A liproll will give you the correct amount of air, balance the airflow and really set your voice up nicely!:)

For a good example of a liproll, look at part 2 of eric arceneaux's vocal warm up series (its on youtube)

High! You have a beautiful tone. Yeah, you were a little pitchy but don't stress over it too much, where all hear to improve!

Pitch Issues.

If you had to push to hit the note, you should sing the trouble parts of the song on a liproll. A liproll will give you the correct amount of air, balance the airflow and really set your voice up nicely!:)

For a good example of a liproll, look at part 2 of eric arceneaux's vocal warm up series (its on youtube)

Thank you, Darion! Yes, some high notes were somewhat not very easy for me. I didn't even record the last part of the song because I can't hit D5 as well and easy as she does.....I tried but only was either off pitch(flat) or in the head register with a terrible break in to the head register.....May be this song is not in my tessiture?

Thank you for the post! Yes, I think I know where I'm off pitch and off beat. I don't actually remember very good the melody of the song and I don't know what I should do to memorize it better.

Oh, take a piano or guitar, play the song, and map the notes of the melody.

Thats the easy part to fix.

I can't play any instruments but I got a virtual piano on my laptop.....But how to map the notes of the melody? One note takes some time to find. But there are a great number of notes....It seams to me impossible to do it....Or there are more quick and effective ways to map the notes?

I agree that mapping the melody onto an instrument helps to get it clear.

If you don't play an instrument then I suspect that trying to find a melody on a real KB is probably quicker than using a computer, I would suggest that a cheap keyboard would be a good investment, such as this: http://www.gear4music.com/Recording-and-Computers/Korg-microKEY-25-Key-USB-MIDI-Keyboard/JD0

Or, just ask a friend who plays KB or guitar to do it for you!

George

George can often be found playing electric stringy things, and singing... [url=https://soundcloud.com/george-williams-8]and then this happens[/url]

Don't worry about tessiture. As I understand, vocal classifications is something that came from classical music. It used the tamber of your voice to match you with songs that would sute your voice better. However in pop and r an b and other more modern stiles of music that, in my openion isn't as much of a deciding factor as it once was re:pieces you could or couldn't sing. Heck, women weren't even allowed to sing with chest voice.

You said you had to strane and their's a flip in to head voice...

Try the warm ups for a wile again. (EArceneaux) notice where on the scale in the second video you can't do the trill anymore. consider that as your **temperarly** highest note in singing. My personal belief is that if you can't do it on a Lroll, its not ready to be sung. (that is if u wish to sing it with the best tone possible)

Good luck, keep uploading more music. If you want to persue this on a professional level, I say go ahead. You sound like a legend in the making!:)

Thank you all!

I wanted to translate "lip roll" and didn't understand what google showed in my language....smth like....lips to make round....I think it wasn't the best translation. I think you meant more than just making lips round.....

So, as I see from the posts my main problem is PITCH....I sang the song yesterday and I found out that I go off pitch not always in the same places, sometimes right sometimes the same place is wrong. I remember the melody in my head but the voice doesn't respond my memory.......

look at part 2 of eric arceneaux's vocal warm up series (its on youtube)

I found it and did Improving Tone Exercises along with the video and I wasn't off key. But I don't know how it can help me learn to sing songs without being off pitch?

Sometimes I do warm - ups and on key, but that's nothing when I sing a real song.....