Who's book/dvd have you had the most success with?

Rate this topic

prickstein

Hey all,

I've been practicing the Singing Success/ SLS method for a while now and feel that I need to try another method just to get a different perspective on this singing thing and put it all into practice.

I realise there are contributors here with their own programs but I'd like to hear from students of the voice as to which book/dvd gave them the best results.

My goals are to learn to bridge better/improve my mix voice and to learn to belt with more power.

In the running for me are James Lugo's Vocal Asylum DVD, Jaime Vendera's Raise Your Voice and Rob Lunte's Four Pillars (although it's a bit out of my price range.)

Yes, I have been to many singing teachers over the years. I learnt a lot more from the SS program than I did going to 2 SLS teachers.

I also prefer to have something I can practice along to in the car.

What worked best for you?

Hi.

My favorite book is "The Voice and Singing" by J Faure, which we (Francis Keeping and I) have translated from French.

You can begin at the beginning iwth this book, read all the essays and study the vocalises. We believe this should be done with a teacher who understands the book.

As enrichment we also use Garcia and Marchesi, but really if I had to stay with one book it would be Faure.

Any program/dvd will only take you so far unless you have a good ear. That's mostly where teachers come in, they can hear where your coordination lacks and give you guidance, untill you develop that hearing for the right ways and the feeling of how to do things correctly so you can do it on your own.

My personal advise would be that you sample from as many different techniques as possible, they all have their unique take on how to sing, and they all have their qualities. If you keep your eyes open and don't glorify one approach or the others, chances are your insight in the voice and how to apply it will increase rapidly.

• Administrator

Mine... 8 ^ ) I dont think you should study Classical if thats not your thing, that could cause a lot of problems and confusion because the training is very different then contemporary pedagogy.

Honestly, my system has been recieved very well... but so has Jaime's and Jame's ... any system you invest in, your going to learn something and get some growth out of it.

Hi: I am a voice student (been singing for a while, but only have been "studying" voice for about 9 months). I have tried Singing Success (Brett Manning), The Bristow Method (Per Bristow) and The Four Pillars (Robert Lunte). I was looking for pretty much the same thing you were, and i tried SS first, but with not much success. The exercises and explanations didn't click with me and i did them ad nauseum without getting much better - just getting hoarse. I had a lot of issues going on (a lot of throat muscles engaged, weak head voice) that i think made me unable to get the most out of SS - i don't know, but it just didn't work for me - although i hear it works for some. I then tried The Bristow Method which was really great in terms of helping me with the tension and with connecting my breathing to my singing more. The 4 CDs are good for building some helpful foundation, but i wanted more "power" and edge in my voice - and so i am now doing the Four Pillars and am very pleased with my results so far. i guess i've been doing it for about 3 months or so and have gotten way further in 3 months than i did during the 5 months i used SS. I recently figured out how to access my real, full singing voice which is incredibly exciting. I can now physically FEEL certain sensations when i'm singing correctly which is cool because i know what to strive for each time i sing. It takes a while to master and i have a heck of a long way to go, but progress is definitely HAPPENING, which is all I can ask for. I also take "live" lessons w/ Robert which are immensely helpful in terms of making sure you're doing the coordinations "properly" via his feedback and coaching. if you're new to it and policing yourself, it's easy to go awry. good luck w/ whatever you end up going with!

I think classical is thrown under the bus far too many times and it kind of upsets me at times. There are classical teachers and there are classical teachers, in the same way there are rock teachers and there are rock teachers. If I were to recommend not going to rock instructors for technique since their technique is often times subpar, then people might not reach the good teachers as Robert and Jaime.

In the same way, yes there are those classical teachers out there that are really snobby and who teach a one size fit all concept which confuses people, BUT I have the privilage of seeing a number of few teachers that are teaching classical technique, REAL classical technique and not the crap it gets confused with on a daily bases, and who also have eye how to implement it in other styles. For the very reason that I had a complete wrong idea about opera and classical technique based on what certain programs said to me, or certain teacher, I stayed away from that world quite a bit, which I discovered afterwards has so much to offer. Indeed mostly you find the most powerful and heavy voices you hear, comming from such a classical background.

If you're a engaged student you will get to know how to apply the knowleadge from one pedagogy to the next. And infact alot of classical teachers teach it. Seriously the more I get into it, the less difference I see between styles, and the more I feel with some tweaks in the vowels, rythm, stylistic changes, you can just hop from the one style to the next with the same proper technique. It doesn't need to be the Classical world versus the rest.

Yeah I agree with Elrathion...

Actually the only difference between classical singing and rythmic is the sound color. And that is just a product of how you shape your vocal tract. This is of course only when we talk about vocal technique. When it comes to style it's a different ballgame!

everyones got an individual voice and personality so i guess various techniques will fit better to certain indiviuals voice/vocal ability and goals, however i do think there are certain aspects that will be benificial to all to create a healthy strong foundation from which to work from. this is one of the many reasons why i like the SLS approach.

one thing i think alot of students get confused about/disapointed about with SLS when they have lessons is that the teacher will only display to them sounds/exercises that are helpful and relevent to them at that moment. these are often unfinished sounds that in no way show the potential of the finished, mastered technique. the student then goes away thinking thats ultimately what the technique sounds like. there is no point in the teacher displaying some fantastical full toned aria or tone/sound because the lesson is supposed to be about teaching the student what sounds/exercises are helpful to them at that stage of their vocal development, not a performance by the teacher. i understand that it is helpful for inspiration and to hear the potential of the technique/school/method but if you want to use your precious lesson time and money for a perfomance then go ahead lol.

also each individual will have slightly different goals to work on (aswell as varying ability). this can mean that whilst one person can accheive what they want in a relatively short period of time others will take longer; though there is no miracle cure, you have to work at it. it bemuses me sometimes when i get the feeling that some people want ultimate vocal excellence in about two weeks lol

you have to work at it, and whilst for some it could take months for alot of people it will take years. remember to become a professional standard opera singer it can take 7-10 years so if you managed to really get your voice togeather in 3-6 years its pretty good going! of course if it took 3-6 years to sing like bob dylan then thats a bit of a bum deal lol

• 1 month later...

i have just started 'The Four Pillars of singing' This is the Vocalist Studio course. It's run via Rob Lunte. First let me say that that I wasn't a great singer. I strained at high notes and couldn't even think of attempting tracks like Bryan Adams Summer of 69 or The Eagles Desperado (I write these as everybody knows them and so will know what I mean when I say the bridges and high notes were out of my range except in falsetto.)

I bought the Four Pillars DVD course from the USA (I live in the UK). I read the book once and arranged a webcam lesson via Skype with Rob. So far I have had one, one hour lesson. And completed the vocal DVD 'warm up' twice.

This afternoon I sang Don't Stop Believin' by Journey and nailed the high notes with ease (I still need to work on 'feel'). But the notes were bang on the money! I simply cannot believe the increase I have had in range from just one lesson and going through the DVD twice. I'm having so much fun singing through tracks that I have to stop after a few hours as I'm worried I hurt my voice.

WELL DONE ROB AND THE VOCALIST STUDIO. I AM ABSOLUTELY AMAZED AT HOW THIS HAS TRANSFORMED MY VOICE.

IF YOU GUYS OUT THERE WANT ROCK VOCAL AND HAVEN'T BOUGHT THIS I RECOMMEND IT. IT'S WORTH EVERY PENNY (OR CENT!!)

mip

ps. this was edited after rob's comment as I corrected some spelling mistakes!

• Administrator

Thanks a lot Mip! What a nice review... Im glad to hear that its working for you. Im happy to have created something that is helping people and making them happy. If you like that, come to Seattle for the 6-8 hour weekend intensive and we'll melt the paint off the walls with great techniques...

Check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwY43aXCJME

Client Endorsements:

www.thevocaliststudio.com/endorsements