Talking about vocal technique, take a listen to this!

Rate this topic

gilad

Cool man, good find.

As to the issue of his voice lasting, I think it depends on him continuing to train to maintain the strength/conditioning he has. Only issue I heard was his fondness of chucking a bunch of extra air in for some of the squeals... but that's just for effect. No doubt that wouldn't be great if overdone. Don't agree with the muscling. He seems pretty relaxed with it, and he's also not singing as loud as it might seem. If he's singing through his nose (here we go again with the nose business.....), I say his nose sounds quite nice.

Definitely has an individual sound and approach.

Justin: No worries ;)

Nick: I agree with you. I dont think he is singing from the nose.

Regarding ruining his voice with time, I seriously have no idea. But, if you look at his larynx, you do see it move quite a lot up and down. Don't know if it means bad vocal technique, but I love what he is able to do with his voice. He seems very successful lately. Here is his most famous song. Chance is you probably heard it, and if you didn't, you probably will.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6yDPhrQIq8

Really, I doubt he gives two shits about his cushion, or his passagio. He's creating a sound that clearly he identifies with as an artist.

Justin, if he blows his voice out, and this forum still exists in 5 years I guess we'll know and we can acknowledge your soothsaying abilities. I'm not so sure that he'll blow it out though....But it will be interesting to see what kind of adjustments he makes (if any) to his technique as time wears on.

Agree with felipe, you guys gotta remember the voice works like a muscle it's usually not what you do that fucks you up rather if you do it to often.

Like super highnotes for example:

Pavarotti has great easy high C's but if he had to hit 200 high c's everyday infront of an audience it would probably wear him out.

Same thing applies if your a metalsinger, growler ect, certain things drains your stamina more and youve gotta watch yourself and rest.

The technique is a great way to increase your stamina and be able to sing, however there is always a limit no matter how good your technique are.

Jens raises a good point. Sure, the voice can have extreme ends and even be capable of a sound effect that while dangerous might be used a few times. When someone comes in to this forum and complains of fatigue after singing for 3 hours and I get them to admit they were singing non-stop for 3 hours, well, there's your sign, to quote Jeff Foxworthy. That's more usage than a real rock star on tour in front of 20,000 maniacs. The average set for the headliner is no more than 2 hours, usually averages 1.5 hours with a few songs for encores, just in case. And if you are the opening band on a tour, yuo only get 45 minutes with all your stuff near the front so that it can be quickly ripped away to reveal the gear of the headliner.

And even in a 2 hour show, the singer is not "phonating" continuously for that entire block of time. For example, in the band, Kansas, it is often violinist Robby Steinhardt who does the talking and introductions during the show.

I was watching an interview with a heavy metal singer and he really does know about singing, using some of the same lingo that we do. And in concert, he will not be doing the high notes with rasp like you will hear it on the album. Because he has to sing the song night after night after night, when on tour. And you just can't do the growly thing with impunity.

And I think each voice has a limit of endurance, too. I don't care if you are speaking or just singing in the low comfortable part of the voice. If we really, really want to compare singing to a muscular activity, and I think that's fine, then (prohibited curse word)(prohibited curse word) then act like it, for once. Does a professional and trained athlete expect to run all day, every at his very top speed? 24 hours a day, 7 days a week?

Nope, not even close. He just trains for the thing he is good at and rest is just as important as the exercise.

In actual muscle conditioning, you are not building or toning the muscles during that exercise, the actual repair happens while you are sleeping. That's any book on exercise programs, any book on physiology and metabolism and for once, no one gets to argue with me on that, though I expect it because faith often holds favor over science.

Now, I am off my soapbox, at least for a moment.

:lol: