HIGH LARYNX IS GOOD?!?

Rate this topic

Rafael Pashamov

Hello again...

So, for 2 days I have been singing quite high stuff (Bruno Mars, Journey.. the usual for my taste..) and I've noticed something new in my technique. Something I never did before (Or is it just the fact that I never cared how I sang, I just did it... with feeling and stuff). Due to lots of vocal video stuff and other exercises here, I started trying to sing the right way...

What happened? I dont like raspy voices.. but I never even tried singing like one, so I decided to experiment. Started doing some Rainbow songs... and it worked. I did it with some raspness and lots of control. Every single note came out perfectly, easier than ever!... and my voice did not tire or get fatigue.. nothing like those, it was just great and I did the same the next day.. but after achieving same effect, I decided not to do the rasp thing, but to try singling clearly and more important- not straining. It WORKED! I did the Separate ways song 4 times in a row!!! Then sang It will rain by Bruno Mars... my larynx was ... high ? or maybe it was not high, but I am thinking it was, considering the fact it was not easy to see it... I was not that low as usually when I sing opera.. or lower. But I had no straining, no pain, no nothing.. just somehow thanks to the "rasp" experiment I managed to get that vocal closure (???) and just did the connection. I did not tire from those 5 songs in a row.. It was amazing! ... and at the same time I feel responsible to ask: is that bad ? I am not 100% sure that this current position of my larynx is High, but the fact that I don't see it and I feel a little weird when talking after singing makes me feel it is high..

I will record in 2-3 days a demo.. that is fantastic, I feel great, really!

I hope it is not that bad .. Thank you for comments!

Only listenning and seeing you to know Rafael.

Its not bad to bring the larynx higher IF its well ajusted and supported, bla bla bla.

High larynx with just a small tiny bit of strain and you are going to destroy your voice if you sing frequently. If you are serious about singing this kind of material, prepare well and study, study a lot.

And I really ask if the quality you get is usefull to sing or if you are just reaching the notes. Because when you get serious about quality is when the strain takes its toll.

Anyways, just sing us some Rainbow! Gates of Babylon \m/

Only listenning and seeing you to know Rafael.

Its not bad to bring the larynx higher IF its well ajusted and supported, bla bla bla.

High larynx with just a small tiny bit of strain and you are going to destroy your voice if you sing frequently. If you are serious about singing this kind of material, prepare well and study, study a lot.

And I really ask if the quality you get is usefull to sing or if you are just reaching the notes. Because when you get serious about quality is when the strain takes its toll.

Anyways, just sing us some Rainbow! Gates of Babylon \m/

Or "Stargazer."

And then, from the Graham Bonnet era, "Since You've Been Gone."

• 2 years later...

Neither high or low larynx is necessarily bad.  Surely you can phonate quite healthily within each setup.  It all comes down to the sound color you'd like. 

Graham Bonnet 

Here is an awesome example of some healthy high larynx singing from the powerhouse Bonnet. :)

I may depend on how your larynx gets where it is at. As I recall correctly blasting with too much air could make my larynx habitually raise. Which was not good.

Likewise if  you shove your tongue down hard to depress it, that would be pushing down your hyoid bone into your larynx forcefully.

There are muscles that are involved in the height of the larynx and they activate during certain activities, like yawning for depressing. Many are the supra and infra hyoid muscles and some of the tongue. 

http://quizlet.com/3049947/extrinsic-muscles-of-the-larynx-flash-cards/ 

If those muscles are in a balanced position without too much pushing or pulling, I'd imagine would be ok.

I prefer to sing and speak on the very beginning of a yawn, due to my nerve problems. It feels like opening slightly and the tiny bit of depression of the larynx increases distance between the malfunctioning nerve in my tongue and the source of the vibration.

If I didn't have that problem, it probably wouldn't be a big deal, so long as whatever position wasn't pulling or crushing the larynx against the hyoid bone. When my nerve acts up at its worst, it can feel almost like it is cramping upward which is very painful. There are laryngeal elevators in the tongue, so if there is a motor malfunction along the same pathway it is possible it is.

Anyway, I suspect you want the muscles to be working in sync and in balance. You don't want one too much opposing force.

Oh yeah? I got my own favorite Graham Bonnett.

:)  NICE...but I raise your Rainbow one with the greatest high notes ever recorded by man in "Only One Woman" Marbles debut.  Just try to listen to this without getting knocked out of your seat.  

• 2 weeks later...

That last song/video (only one woman) would seem to be a master class in embouchure management.  I'm asking actually, not making a firm statement, because I really don't know. But he really seems to be demonstrating an open mouth with a real 'bite' to his embouchure, and doing much of the articulation of words and consonants with his tongue.

That last song/video (only one woman) would seem to be a master class in embouchure management.  I'm asking actually, not making a firm statement, because I really don't know. But he really seems to be demonstrating an open mouth with a real 'bite' to his embouchure, and doing much of the articulation of words and consonants with his tongue.

Sounds about right, that video to me represents a masterful voice period.  To sound like that takes some serious dedication.