Neutral--David Phelps

Neutral--Barbara Streisand

High--Christina Aguilera

Neutral--Whitney Houston

High--Mariah Carey (hard to tell)

High--Jessica Simpson

Neutral--Juan Diego Flores

High-- Fergie

Also the evidence is clear. To make it as a professional singer, the larynx doesn't need to be low. To be a skillful singer, the skill of neutral larynx is valuable.

Question--I thought the idea was to have a low larynx. The video suggests a neutral larynx.

Sorry but I have seen such videos before and the "creator" of the video is simply pointing to his favorite singers as having the "correct" whatever and other singers as being crap. How is able to tell, especially with females not having a prominent Adam's Apple, what position their larynx is in? And I notice that he claims it's high larynx on the very highest notes. Not saying that doesn't happen but how does he or she know? I assume it's a he. Women are usually too smart too waste time worrying about this.

Only classical singers want a really lowered larynx typically, for the dark sound colour. People probably would think a pop singer with a really low larynx sounded weird. And their high range would probably be compromised too and low singing isn't very popular in pop for some reason.

Nor heaven or hell...

As egg pointed, classical placement on pop sounds like a big white elefant, it does not fit, and all the measures for resonance and projection on the mic and against a mix made with a lot of presence are just out of place. Range compromise is not really the problem, most pop material doesnt even require head voice.

And yes, lowering the larynx a bit is a good idea on pop, for comfort and protection, as well as to enhance the fundamental quality.

However, on both, what changes is the overall position only, no matter the style, the larynx needs to rise as you go high. Not much, and not a little, but just the right ammount to allow a comfortable and natural production.

Most things on both the human voice and perception of sounds work on a relative basis, not absolute. Nothing is static and things only have meanning when compared to something else.

My larynx naturally rises and the more I try to lower it, it just causes more provlems because I search fot that operatic sound attributed to the lowered larynx.

I went to a Jacksons conceet last night. We were sat 6 feet from them so we were extremely close and I took the time to study them. They were energetic, dancing and singing, entertaining the crowd. They never sang a note wrong and they have naturally high voices, not as high as michael but they kept it up. I looked at there larynx too, it was up sometimes, neutral others, lowered on some heady sustained notes.

I got the privelage to get awesome pics and videos, I ran round and shook Jermaine's hand and got Tito's guitar pick. Amazing night! Nice to see them not mime or miss words like today's singers.

So I think it's a mixtute of correct support that isn't pushed and clenched, correct vowel choice, no BAD tensions in the neck and some experience in that area. I can't sing very long in a high voice, it flip flops but that's because of the points I've just mentioned.