Am I talking too much before singing?

Rate this topic

Baritone

I work in sales which means I have to talk all day. I also talk to my co-workers ect ect. On the day that I am set to sing (play an open mic) sometimes I am hoarse by than but I don’t know if that’s because I’ve been talking too much all day. I can’t avoid talking all together of course but I sure can limit it. I was wondering if anyone has any advice, is talking too much before singing a bad thing?

My job has me on the phone with customers, clients, the boss, the crews, from 6 am to 6 pm. So, I let my voice go where it is going to go, not forcing in any direction. And, when possible, I communicate by email, keeping my mouth shut.

Do what you can do. An important thing in my job is to ask questions and listen.

Not much I can add but to stay hydrated. However you like to stay hydrated. Never pass up a chance to shut up. Muscle is muscle and any muscle can get fatigued, even in pro athletes.

Ronnie James Dio said there is only so much wear and tear on the voice in a day. He sang professionally for over 40 years. The only thing that stopped him from singing was passing away from stomach cancer. True fact, he was planning another tour when he passed away.

And some will say, Ron, how can you possibly know that? Well, I did a bad, bad thing. I watched an interview by Eddie Trunk of Ronnie's widow and business manager, Wendy.