For g0dvollie - Dazed and confused

• TMV World Legacy Member

It would be cool if g0dvollie could comment on this one because I recorded this specifically after he mentioned that more power was needed for my high notes in the AC/DC songs in my other threads - but the more who chime in, the better.

I was trying to be less heady this time for the high notes, but I'm pretty sure I'm not nailing this style of singing yet, because it took a lot of effort and this is the best take. I have the feeling that this time I'm being too chesty, or lack twang at certain parts, I don't really know. It also bothers me a bit that I had a cold but I hope you can look past that a bit. I'm using mostly ideas from Jamie Vendera's Raise your voice, 2nd edition here. Maybe I just need to work on his program for a few more months to see improvement.

g0dvollie's ideas on twang and an open throat interest me a great deal as well. g0dvollie, maybe you could send me a line on MSN Messenger if you have it? I'm j_g_thorarinsson@hotmail.com.

Here is the recording:

http://www.speedyshare.com/files/21850153/Dazed_and_confused_cover_.mp3

Any thoughts on how I could improve that (as it's boarderline blasphemy to even come close to butcher a classic like that), would be greatly appreciated. Also, if you could suggest any exercises for me at this point in time, if you have the time to do so.

Respectfully,

jonpall.

MUCH BETTER. I love the tone you have on this. I can tell that you're fatiguing towards the end. TWANG IT MORE! I'm not sure but I think you might be singing a little too hard on the bottom so it pulls a little bit on the higher pitches. For the record, you're a better singer than I am ^^ I'm assuming this is a new way of approaching this type of song for you. If it is, keep practicing it like this to strengthen this part of your voice. Absolutely amazing man.

Wow, thanks so much. That's very helpful, man. Yeah, this is a very new way of singing to me, but my wish is simply to be able to sing the songs I love and many of them are pretty tough :)

The overdrive in your voice is awesome and very satisfying. Remember also, plant pretty much lost his voice and can't hit those notes very well anymore. The twanging will protect your voice. The overdrive you're creating not only sounds amazing, but healthy. Try to keep the twang as you go lower in pitch, it sounds like you're covering the sound a little bit on the lower notes. (wanted a woman never bargained for you.) The end of this sentence gets a little covered and loses the twang. Not sure if this is what you were going for, if it's a style you were going for then it's all good! The song is a little tight in the beginning, then it gets much better, then you get fatigued towards the end. I would say, the approach on the song is perfect, and not to worry about the fatigue (just don't overpractice it so you're starting to strain). Your bridging constantly, does it feel easier with the twanged sound? I find that twanging thins out the sound a bit more and takes the pressure off the voice and gives more freedom. That's why it's important to maintain it on the lower notes, if you don't do the bottom right, the top becomes harder. I don't have MSN, but I have AIM if you want to chat. Maybe you can give me a few pointers as well!

I tried recording the song Highway to hell and failed miserably. Well, I'll try again after a few days. Just goes to show I'm far from being able to master this style of singing. It's usually adding distortion to higher notes that gets me, although I'm able to do it sometimes.

If I could sing a bit better and most importantly do this on a consistant basis without getting very tired, especially with my support, you might want to get envious. But I really can't get near this level with my band yet, although I'll do my best to train hard so I can. But that's quite a compliment coming from such a good singer as yourself, Jens my friend. I also still listen to some of the music you've introduced to me, like Kamelot, so thanks a lot for that and all the vocal help!