Specific Exercises

Rate this topic

jzhang172

Hi there!!!!!

I've been doing a lot of vocal training recently and I've gotten pretty good mentality wise.

I noticed that when I sing, if I get really into this song, that is when I'm at my best. My vocal technique is not where I want it to be(there is always room for improvement) but it's better than when I just "sing" and not feel the song.

I am still a beginner but I narrowed down the things I believe I need to work on.

Freedom when singing - This is pretty easy once I get my voice in the right area even though I might not be able to hit exactly on pitch.

Getting voice into the proper head place not stuck in throat, I believe this is having enough power to get into the head voice?

Pitch.

What exercises can I do that target these specific things?

Thanks! I'll eat any advice you guys can give me

Hi Jzhang172,

Great to hear you're doing lots of training!

The things you've narrowed down to all have the underlying issue of airflow. I will explain in more detail:

For the voice to be free it has to rely on a good and steady stream of air, if this stream of air changes then other parts of the vocal apparatus have to get involved (that shouldn't) to compensate for the lack of a steady stream of airflow. This is then what throws us off pitch.

Exercise: Lie on the floor in semi-supine position and put on a relaxing song of about 3 mins and just gently start to breathe deeply allowing the belly raise up to the ceiling and then slowly releasing the air and then that moment of nothing before you take the breath in again. Monitor you breathing, is it a steady stream of air? Do the same thing standing up. Then link this to a very simple 3 note scale on Ahhhh just concentrate on connecting the breath to the voice.

The 2nd part you describe is head voice and getting stuck in the throat.

This comes down to allowing the voice to go through these transitions (passaggio's).

|--------------Chest Voice ----------------|

|------------Middle Voice------------|

|-------------Head Voice--------------|

You will see you have 3 parts to your voice (men replace head voice with falsetto). Many people will call them different names (call them what you like!). The fundamental thing is that your voice has to go through these 2 passaggio's smoothly to be one whole connected voice. These parts of the voice can crossover each other.

Doing a siren is one of the best ways to see if they're connected. Ng sound work all the way through your voice without any clunks or bumps.

Then you need to do it in an exercise which is a bit difficult to explain on here and requires someone to really listen to whether you're doing it correctly or not. Find a good teacher to help with this.

Any questions give me a shout! Best of luck!

uh oh, i sense someone that wants to be spoon fed....lol

just give me this and give me that so i can sing better by next month.

it doesn't work that way. get a book, start reading how the voice works, or watch a reputable video.

uh oh, i sense someone that wants to be spoon fed....lol

just give me this and give me that so i can sing better by next month.

it doesn't work that way. get a book, start reading how the voice works, or watch a reputable video.

Where does it sound like I want to be "spoon fed", I'm asking advice from people who have been doing more than me. I want to hear what people have tried and worked for them and whatever they can tell me so I can learn from them and try on my own.

What kind of vocal training have you been doing?

Vowel exercises up the scale, lip trills, mums...I record myself at the end of every practice to hear what I do wrong and I noticed these things that I had trouble with but I can fix. I've been recently working on the vowels a lot since I want to get notes on pitch and have that freedom when singing up and down.

Where does it sound like I want to be "spoon fed"

When you open a thread with this kind of generic and broad question, asking for a magical solution, it is very clear that you didnt even had the trouble of searching and reading the other 1.000 similar questions that people ask, and neither checked other threads that you can find if you can sit down and read at least the first 10 or 20 pages of threads a mouse click away.

I dont even advice exercising alone, but use the search and you will find exercises, explanation, samples, discussions, errors, live recordings, all sorts of resources.

You understand that an exercise to "free" your voice, is the same as saying exercise to "sing better". All exercises should at least be a part of achieving this goal.

So, read.

I agree with Felipe.

Anyway, here are some vocal coaches that have posted many videos on Youtube.

Take a look at them and see if any of their advice works for you.

It won't make you a pop star overnight, though :|

http://www.youtube.com/user/voicelessondotcom

http://www.youtube.com/user/NewYorkVocalCoaching

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheSongbirdtree