How do you find the tone that is best suited for you?

Rate this topic

pj

Hello folks I've been lurking around the forums (again) and I noticed threads discussing different singers' sounds and techniques. What I'm interested is that as a vocalist, how did you find the tone that best suits you?

I'm a beginner myself and I have my good and bad days. Some days whereby I felt that I sounded "okay" or "good" (at least to me personally), and on other days I can be totally off (not pitch-wise, but tone-wise). I understand that doing exercises can help to "strengthen" the voice and develop a better tone but did any of you spent a considerable amount of time dedicated to simply experimenting around with different techniques to develop the tone that is best suited for you? If so what areas did you look out for?

If not then did your "ideal" tone come naturally to you through exercises and etc.?

Would appreciate any feedback. :D

As many people as there are, there are as many different ideas of "perfect tone."

I am sure my tone is not perfect. Especially by some definitions.

But I experiment all the time.Funny voices, usually through changing resonance strategies. It keeps me awake on the long drive to work.

:lol:

if you listen to a variety of singers, you may very well start to develop a sense of your innate capability to emulate a given singer(s).

and you begin to say to yourself "you know what, i think i can sing this or sound like this."

when i first listened to lou gramm sing, i knew mentally i could sing like that, i felt i had a similar texture but i lacked the strength and development to sing many of those songs. i had to work up to them...hard work...lol!!!

they went from hard to sing, to less hard to sing....lol!!!

i guess what i'm trying to say is, there will be voices or sound ideals you will gravitate towards and sometimes your voice is well suited for them, right then and there, and other times you may have to work up to a certain development before you can pull them off.

a deep comittment to strenghthening and developing my voice was the best thing (the missing ingredient) for me.

of course, there's more to do, but in retrospect i only wish i had done this sooner. i am thrilled with my progress thus far....and i want others to say the same thing on this forum.

Just aim for what you want, people think they are born with a specific tone or tat their voice is aimed for some special goal. I think thats bullshit :) aim for the sound you want, watch how the singers mouths move how the posture is and most important... What type of person is he/she? I think personality, how we feel behave and confidence has alot more to do with how we sound than our physique.

Aim for the stars noone here will have an idea how your voice will sound when the technique falls into place, only you can decide how good you wanna be.

• Administrator

I don't think Jens (and a few others) are aware of the (*auto edit*) feature of the Forum yet, ronws.....

The banned words list is really beginning to grow !!! We're up to sixteen and counting >>> "Favorite obscenities" and their respective variations..... :P

But seriously, if ANY MEMBER is offended by any particular word (OBVIOUSLY OBSCENE), that I already haven't EDITED, please write me and I will add it......

Adolph, I am not offended by the curse word. I have invented new combinations of curse words.

But, when I was nearly banned, it was mentioned that my profanity was out of hand and was an "issue."

But I get it, there's a set of rules for ronws and a set of rules for everyone else. As long as I know which rules I am to abide by, I can get by. But the question of why others get away with it without threat of banishment is a mystery and I still wonder at times.

• Administrator

ronws,

I'm not offended by any particular language either, HOWEVER, we DO have a lot of youngsters, and even some adult members that are offended ! As such, and I'm sure you already know, we strive to maintain professionalism, and hold ourselves to the highest standards here at TMV World and will continue to ALWAYS do so !!! Simply put, it's out of respect for ALL of our members !!!

Hey, my Friend.... Just when were YOU out of line ??? I've been here since the beginning, and I certainly don't recall an instance where you used profanity ?????

I agree, Adolph, we should be able to express ourselves without the flagrant use of profanity and that is what I do and have done, since I started being in this forum. But I was almost banned because I hurt someone's feelings and one of the things mentioned was that my profanity was out of control, even though I have never used a word that was not used in any lyric I sing, all of which are words you can read in the KJV of the Holy Bible.

Whereas, the word that was used in this thread is not a word found in the Bible and is considered a coarse profanity in modern american english usage. A word strong enough to get deleted on broadcast tv, yet, as far as I know, no repercussions, no threat of banishment. Not even a slap on the wrist.

But, like I said, different rules, depending on who one is. It's fine, as long as I know the rules for ronws. But I sometimes wonder at the disparity, not being good at politics.