I'm new into singing (Please be honest!! )

Rate this topic

I'm 28, I never thought about singing before as I always found my voice weak and very feminine, even when I speak.

I'm a huge Michael Jackson fan, and a singing competition was announced last week

So I bought a Mic to be able to compete. I sang Billie jean. People said it s good (but they are all Mj fans, so I guess they just gave me good reviews by compassion)

So I sang another song just for you to criticise me.

I want you to be very honest, I'm not sensitive and Singing is not my dream job.

So you can go as much as you want with the truth :)

also bare in mind that I'm french so you can hear my accent sometimes.

Stand By Me:

And this is the video I sent for the MJ singing contest:

Billie Jean:

Hi,

I'm helping people who want to be critiqued in hopes that others will critique me too. And my critique will give you a boost to the top again. I don' t understand why people take the time to listen to you sing but won't take the time to give their opinion. I am no pro by a long shot but I know good singing.

I think (imo) you sound pretty good and have potential because you can sing on key; and that's the first step to good singing. But I think you need your own style. You should sing other songs, not Michael Jackson because he has his own unique voice and style. And even if you were able to sound like him, your singing wouldn't be unique. Good Luck!

http://themodernvocalist.punbb-hosting.com/viewtopic.php?id=6444

I do believe you have potential. Even though you have a similer sound to Michael you need to break from trying to sing like him. Even your "Stand by me" sounded as if you were trying to sing it like Michael. The only reason that I am saying this is because that sound that Michael uses in those songs actually use tension as a basis.

It's sounds as if you have good reletive pitch(singing a melody line) but it also sounded that if there was a backing track you would not have been singing in key (in tune with the music) on the higher part.

Tres bon, mon Ami for trying, anyway.

MDEW is right. You're missing the higher pitches, which is not that noticable with an a capella version like this. You've got a light, tremuluous voice like he does.

Your voice is special. What others are trying to say is rejoice in being special, whether that means or you sound like MJ, or not.

And there's nothing wrong with sounding like a girl. I kind of have a girly voice, too, at least it sounds so, to me. Doesn't bother me, any more. I spent years trying to speak and sing lower and it didn't work. But, like beating my head against a brick wall, it felt better when I stopped that.

:lol:

Like M said, you have good relative pitch and are good with notes that are close to each other. You are missing the jump to a spot higher in your range. And I think that is because you are holding onto whatever you are doing to sound like Michael. I would suggest trying these songs, even "Billie Jean," in any voice other than Michael, just for an exercise, an experiment. Even do it in funny voices, like Mickey Mouse, for example. See if that doesn't free up some things for you.

Thank guys for your advices!

I'd like to know what is a Key and a Pitch?

Like someone mentioned before I may not be singing on the right key, and when I want to record my voice on Garageband they ask me to choose a key. But I do not know what is it. So with the pitch, what is it?

Pitch means note. Scales are a set group of notes that are specific distances from each other. Chords are made up of 3 or more notes in a scale sounding at the same time. A musical "Key" is the name of the first or Root note of a scale. The Key of C is composed of the notes C D EF G A BC (I wrote it like that on purpose) C to D is one full step.

E to F is a Half step. The chord C is made up of the notes C E and G (1st,3rd and 5th note in the scale).

You will notice that there are 2 C's written. The second C is an octave higher than the first( The scales repeat).

To sing in key means to be singing using notes made from the same scale that the music is from.

I will stop here. To find out more look up basic music theory on Google.

thank MDEW but I have no idea of what you are talking about lol (due to my lack of knowledge)

I googled what Key is but it says the same A B C D...

I guess it's hard to explain with words.

But I ll give you a point reputation for your effort :)

I think I m going to sing Snow Patrol: Chasing car, next.

I tried :) It is basically what music is all about and how it works. Do you know what a piano is? If so, the white keys are the C scale starting with the white key in front of the 2 black keys grouped together. The white key in front of the 2 black keys are always the note C.

Hey man, listenned to both, your voice sounds ok, but the MJ impersonation is comming too much, in my opinion, its fun to listen but really because you got that very well, the question therefore is: What you want to do? Impersonate or sing?

Since no backing track is there, really you can do whatever with the keys and call it your interpretation. Still, because of what you did on the chorus on both songs, you took away the energy and broke the idea of the song, so I dont think its good as it is, Billie Jean was comming cool until the pre-chorus, and then it dies without energy.

Impersonation comming ok. Singing, nope.

Its not that there is nothing special on your voice, you are simply not doing anything that brings interest. Can be worked with study, and to be clear, MJ is the ultimate source for this kind of thing. You are copying his accents, tone and even the way to breath, but missing the really good part, his musicianship.

it sounds great and you cracked the most important part, being in key and pitch! you're spot on in that department. You sound a lot like MJ which is both cool and very hard to pull off. What you want to do is work on a mixture of MJ and the 'real' you! add a bit of grit, bring it down in places, push harder. Do whatever you can to sculpt it a little. I always say, once you know you can sing (which you can) and you know you can hit the right notes (which you can), then you can start to make your voice your 'bitch'. I'm a drummer also and its what I teach when teaching drums...you work at it, get the basics down and THEN your talent becomes your slave for expression. Keep at it, build your voice stronger and well done for having the balls to give it a go!

Support support support more.... tone wasn't bad.. but your breathing and support really lacked... I felt like passing you a paper bag to breathe into before you passed out...

Seriously though, not too bad and you were on key.. Work on the support and breath control... I would recommend some open throat techniques for you, as you seem pretty shut down.. So basically :

Keep you tongue down

Open your mouth wider

Breath from the stomach / diaphram and not the chest

take a breathe before every phrase

etc.