Aloe Vera Water

Rate this topic

TerrylLee

Hello. I'm new to the TMV community, and so far I've learned a lot. Thank you all:).. I have a question. Does anyone have any experience with Aloe Vera water? I heard it was good for keeping the vocal cords from drying out during performances.

Hi TerrylLee, welcome aboard!

To my knowledge aloe has no lasting effect on the throat, and if used enough to behave as a laxative, it could even dehydrate the body. Glycerin-based lozenges & sprays have a fleeting effect; throat-coat tea might actually have some good chemistry for the pharynx. But keep in mind that ANYTHING you drink "goes down the other pipe" and bypasses your voice box.

Best for hydrating the cords themselves: sip plain water throughout the day, keep a humid (but mold-free) environment at home & dressing room; stay away from cig. smoke; and get help for any chronic nasal congestion so that you can inhale through the nose (somewhat/some of the time) while singing.

My book has a section on herbs for the voice, with as much formal evidence as I could find (as opposed to rumor & folklore).

happy singing -

Okay thank you for that information. I bought the Aloe Very water, but never drank it because I wasn't sure if i'd like the results. I do drink plain water, occasionally throat coat, and most of the time Lemon Tea, and Honey. That usually does the trick. Though I do suffer from nasal congestion which is very annoying. For the congestion I try to stay away from dairy products at least 3 days before a performance, rehearsal, or studio session. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Thank you again

• Administrator

TerrylLee,

Try sinus flushes regularly for the nasal congestion. Plain distilled water works fine. I have the same recurring problem as well, and it works very well for me. Also, you can try the "Ocean" brand saline solution if that interests you, but STAY AWAY from the aerosol, unless you want the feeling that you sprayed lighter fluid up your nose and lit a match.

BTW, WELCOME to TMV !!!

Adolph

• Administrator

TL,

You may also wish to check an post I made in this same topic regarding "Ear Problems and The Eustacian Tube". It may also help.

Here's another I learned: Boil some water on the stove top, turn off the heat, and place a NEW sponge (approx. 4" x 7"), in the water. Let it cool enough to where the temperature is comfortable. Squeeze out the excess water and then place it over you nose and mouth. Alternately breathe in through the nose and out through the mouth, and then vice versa.

This technique works well, too.

And you are Most Welcome.... Best Wishes at the Studio !

Thanx for the advice. I used the Ocean Saline Solution before the studio session and it went very well. I think I've found a new best friend.lol.. I'll check out the "Ear Problems and The Eustacian Tube" topic now.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator

While I haven't posted on the forum for some time now due to various illness, I'm a little behind. I have, however, been keeping up on my "recruitment" efforts for TMV as I'm DEDICATED. This community is awesome !

TerrylLee, You definitely have a new friend !

Rychemaiden, Since we've discussed the "sponge issue", I'd like to add to everyone to BEWARE - The last one I purchased was LOADED with soap (I have no idea why since it was new), but it made for an interesting experience, to say the least...:o Thanks for reminding me...:)

showtunesongbird, While I wasn't smoking much, I quit the 1st of January, and have been smoke free for 34 days, and counting. Yes, "kick 'em out". Nobody is permitted to smoke in my home or vehicle any longer.