Singing for a long time, pitchings still naff. HELP!

• TMV World Legacy Member

Hey guys,

I made a post in the technique section (this >> http://themodernvocalist.punbb-hosting.com/viewtopic.php?id=6454), mainly about the fact I've been singing for about 4/5 years, and putting a lot of work into it for about 2 years, and my immense frustration with my progress. I was told to upload a clip of my singing, so here it is.

So if you guys would kindly have a listen to this -

https://soundcloud.com/hypnotoad-uk/vox-sample

Completely open to all critiscisms, hopefully you guys can help me out with whats going wrong.

One of the things that frustrates me most is that I can always hear wether I'm flat or sharp in an instant, and identify which one, but I just can't tweak my voice onto the note without landing over or under it.

Hope to hear from you guys soon!

You have a nice voice, there is a nice grain in it.

but when you sing we can barely hear you and we don't understand the words you say.

Speak up more and dont be affraid to open your mouth. do some long ''U'' or ''E''

I'm sure you can be very good.

First off on a lot of words you are whispering. When you whisper you blow a lot of air across the folds and the cords do not close completely. This is bad for the cords. You cannot sing and whisper at the same time.

Do not be afraid to get loud. As a matter of fact practice singing loud.

Do not be afraid of singing a wrong note. You have to first get loud enough to produce a note. After a week or so of practicing singing loud then worry about getting th correct pitch. (By loud I do not mean for you to scream. Loud enough for someone to hear you in the next room).

Good Luck.

"You need a strong foundation to reach the heights."

i love your voice :D try to sing something like unwell-matchbox twenty, here without you-3doors down or something from the fray and coldplay. but im pretty sure you can improve a lot more, like others said you need more volume and 'power' because you sounds like too exhausted to sing, i dont think you're having problem with breath support right? anyway its just my opinion and even myself is not a good singer :P

Your pitch isn't bad at all, I've heard so much worse :D So that's a great start! Don't be scared!

You could do all the breathing exercises in the world but with a breathy tone like this you'll still feel like you're running out of air because as Mdew mentioned the cords don't come together properly. An exercise i've found helpful for this is singing kah, kah, kah (on a 5 note scale or something, or just on one note to start with) then straight after sing 'ah ah ah' instead trying to make the 'ah' as bright and punchy as the kah and eliminating the breathy tone. Anything with glottal onsets is good for this (although don't do for too long as it's not really the ideal phonation for singing) it's just to build muscle memory and get your vocal cords to remember to come together when you sing or speak. Do you have a naturally breathy speaking voice too?

Breathy is nice in the right circumstances but in my opinion it's much better if you choose to sing in a breathy way for a song or a particular phrase but singers need to have other options and choices. Singing this way all the time will limit you, especially if you wanted to belt high notes at some point.

I'd be pleased with your pitch if i was you though and i'd work on refining your tone.

Good luck :D

Professional vocalist in Devon, England. Here's the link to my website: [url=http://www.ginaellenvocalist.co.uk/]professional vocalist in Devon[/url]
[url=https://soundcloud.com/gina-ellen]My soundcloud[/url]

cheers for the feedback guys! Yeah I've been working on that the last day or so. Singing louder though it seems to me my voice sounds a) a lot more blunt, and B) I swear my pitching sounds worse? I'll whack up another video for you guys when I got time next. Thanks for the help :)

cheers for the feedback guys! Yeah I've been working on that the last day or so. Singing louder though it seems to me my voice sounds a) a lot more blunt

So, go ahead ahd be blunt with your voice. Sing like you expect someone on the other side of the room to hear you. I dare you to do so. Like the Nike advertisment, "Just do it."

If you are a singer, then you have a voice worth hearing. So, let people hear it. Quit singing like you are ashamed and hiding in a closet. Sing because you are 10 feet tall and no one is going to stop you.

hahaa anyway i guess you have same problem like mine when i just start singing like a year ago. that time, i preferred to sing with less volume and makes it sound breathy because i felt its make my voice sounds better. then my friend ask me to sing a bit louder and he say "be honest when you're singing, dont scare to show our voice true colors". sometimes even you heard yourself sounds not really good when you really sing without imitating others or holding back, other people will find its more pure and unique, and of course thats bring the best out of your potential.

i also find out this video was useful when i want to get rid my old problem a year ago, so you can check it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNh5YKyf6f8