Small problem here, need some help.

Rate this topic

I have recently had a sinus infection of about 3 weeks that antibiotics has not been able to help. Most nights I was having tons of post nasal drip and my throat would be nearly swollen shut when I woke up. I would have huge ammount of phlem right in the area where my vocal cords are. I have cronic severe sinusitus and a deviated septum so I am used to get many infections and not having full use of a clear nasal passage. Anyways, like I always do I pushed through this and did a lot of full-on singing over this time. Now, I am getting a little better from my illness but I am having a strange vocal problem. There seems to just be spots along my range (while ascending) that my cords do not properly adduct on. There is an airyness quality, which I never have and it has been very difficult to do anything in my upper range. The weird thing is that I can do things like NG sirens and other vocal exercises with no problem. When I go to even light volume singing, the problems appear and I definitely feel something in the area of my cords, which is something I NEVER feel.

Anyone know what problem I might be facing and/or have any advice for getting the cords back to optimal functioning? The Titze straw exercises so far make a difference but what else should I be doing/not doing?

Consuming... ENT man! And vocal rest until the symptoms go away. Sinus infection is one of the worse things to the voice. The dripping causes more than just phlegm, it irritates the soft tissue, a lot, I cant even imagine how you managed to sing during the infection.

Hopefully its nothing permanent. But you can easily win a nodule or polyp doing this kind of abuse.

Be sure to tell the doctor what you did with your voice during the infection.

Consuming... ENT man! And vocal rest until the symptoms go away. Sinus infection is one of the worse things to the voice. The dripping causes more than just phlegm, it irritates the soft tissue, a lot, I cant even imagine how you managed to sing during the infection.

Hopefully its nothing permanent. But you can easily win a nodule or polyp doing this kind of abuse.

Be sure to tell the doctor what you did with your voice during the infection.

I have done it so many times. I have good technique and a strong voice so I guess I have just been lucky.

Should I rest first and then see the ENT?

I have done it so many times. I have good technique and a strong voice so I guess I have just been lucky.

Should I rest first and then see the ENT?

You're going to make me say it, aren't you?

Both. Go to the doctor and get rest, at the same time, simultaneously. Concurrently. And whatever other synonyms that mean doing two or more things at once.

You're going to make me say it, aren't you?

Both. Go to the doctor and get rest, at the same time, simultaneously. Concurrently. And whatever other synonyms that mean doing two or more things at once.

The reason I asked is because I haven't even tried to rest it yet.

I can't help you any more, then. Either it is not a serious problem or you are not taking it seriously.

good luck, anyway.

I'll make this very long story as short as I can:

I've been dealing with issues very similar to yours for roughly 9 months!!

Sinuses swollen. Post nasal drip hell. on better days I could sing decently ok to good, on bad days impossible to sing. No control, no resonance, cracks all over. Really disheartening.

I was treated to 4 rounds of different antibiotics which did not help, they sent me to get a ct scan cause they thought it may have been fungal sinusitis, which was not the case.

I was than tested for allergies and turned out I developed an allergy to dust-mites and was prescribed a nasal steroid spray which helped by maybe 20%-30%.

I was really depressed and refused to accept that all of a sudden I developed a freakin' dust allergy, so I was reading online and as a footnote I read that some people that suffer from classic allergy symptoms (sinus pain, swelling 'pressure, pnd etc) may actually be allergic to wheat/grains.

Wheat allergy? WTF? Sounded weird but what the hell, worth a shot.

I stopped eating any and all wheat/grain products and within two weeks or so, the sinus pressure went down for the first time since last May and the PND decreased so far by roughly 80%, and keeps improving daily.

I never would have guessed that eating wheat was causing it, and am thankful that I found out about it, and if having my voice/throat healthy again means not eating wheat products, fine by me.

I'm not saying this is what's wrong with you, but I did a lot of research and turns out that wheat/grain intolerance is very common and can manifest itself in many different ways, and as my case shows, doctors didn't have a clue.

Give it a try, eliminate wheat/grains from your diet for 2-3 weeks and see if you improve.

I can't help you any more, then. Either it is not a serious problem or you are not taking it seriously.

good luck, anyway.

I think you missed what I was saying.

Let me state this again.

Obviously I am going to at least rest it but the question is should I already go to an ENT even though I have not tried to do what most people here have suggested?

I'll make this very long story as short as I can:

I've been dealing with issues very similar to yours for roughly 9 months!!

Sinuses swollen. Post nasal drip hell. on better days I could sing decently ok to good, on bad days impossible to sing. No control, no resonance, cracks all over. Really disheartening.

I was treated to 4 rounds of different antibiotics which did not help, they sent me to get a ct scan cause they thought it may have been fungal sinusitis, which was not the case.

I was than tested for allergies and turned out I developed an allergy to dust-mites and was prescribed a nasal steroid spray which helped by maybe 20%-30%.

I was really depressed and refused to accept that all of a sudden I developed a freakin' dust allergy, so I was reading online and as a footnote I read that some people that suffer from classic allergy symptoms (sinus pain, swelling 'pressure, pnd etc) may actually be allergic to wheat/grains.

Wheat allergy? WTF? Sounded weird but what the hell, worth a shot.

I stopped eating any and all wheat/grain products and within two weeks or so, the sinus pressure went down for the first time since last May and the PND decreased so far by roughly 80%, and keeps improving daily.

I never would have guessed that eating wheat was causing it, and am thankful that I found out about it, and if having my voice/throat healthy again means not eating wheat products, fine by me.

I'm not saying this is what's wrong with you, but I did a lot of research and turns out that wheat/grain intolerance is very common and can manifest itself in many different ways, and as my case shows, doctors didn't have a clue.

Give it a try, eliminate wheat/grains from your diet for 2-3 weeks and see if you improve.

I will definitely try that.

A very wise man told several years ago that this was the solution to all of his problems. He, like you and I, had a very similar story in regards to our sinuses so he was confident it would work for me. I never tried this when he first told me because I was not even singing at the time. I have gotten very used to just living through these problems but singing through them has been an entirely different battle. That being said, even with that, this is the first time I have had this exact set of problems and the first time I have actually felt anything resembling pain near or on my cords.

I will give this a try and report back in this thread over the course of time.

A very wise man told several years ago that this was the solution to all of his problems. He, like you and I, had a very similar story in regards to our sinuses so he was confident it would work for me. I never tried this when he first told me because I was not even singing at the time. I have gotten very used to just living through these problems but singing through them has been an entirely different battle. That being said, even with that, this is the first time I have had this exact set of problems and the first time I have actually felt anything resembling pain near or on my cords.

I will give this a try and report back in this thread over the course of time.

Good luck man, hope it works for you as well. Just make sure if you do this then do it right, you must eliminate ALL wheat and grains from your diet.

All Bread, Pasta, cookies, cakes, rice, chips, cereal, Pizza, oat meal etc etc etc. Also make sure to read labels, lots of packaged foods that you'd never suspect have wheat in them. There's lots more information about this online so read up and be smart about it.

Power, is it a wheat allergy? Or a gluten allergy? I ask because now some foods are advertised as gluten free, simply because some people have allergies to that and it was never considered before.

Just a thought.

I had food allergies as a kid.

My wife got me into drinking fat free milk and I no longer get heartburn.

I am allergic to Mountain Cedar, still, I think. I know when a cold front blows in from the front range of Colorado, I pay for it through the nose.

Get it? That was a pun.... man, I am too funny, I should go to Vegas.

:lol:

Power, is it a wheat allergy? Or a gluten allergy? I ask because now some foods are advertised as gluten free, simply because some people have allergies to that and it was never considered before.

It's not an allergy per se, but rather sensitivity or intolerance. And I'm talking about all wheat in general. While gluten is a protein contained within wheat, those that are allergic to gluten usually experience issues with their digestive system while wheat intolerance can manifest itself in many different ways and you'll never know if it's the source of your problems until you eliminate it completely from your diet.