Closure, Breathing and Larynx Dampening

Rate this topic

Hey everyone, in the title states 3 critical concepts that I have found in the vocal training and with tvs. I will now present a break down of my interpretation and success with these and troubles I have had.

Now what makes this different then other threads is we are talking about all 3 TOGETHER directly affecting production of the voice. I will talk about larynx dampening first because you can visually SEE the larynx lower. When I first started singing the larynx would raise more than necessary because I would "belt." When doing some of the TVS warmups I did the "surprise breath" to lower the larynx slightly; instantly there was a boomier and what I would consider darker sound... AND less closure.

The default of dampening for me was a darker sound with LESS closure since the larynx is not used to performing a dopeyer with good closure. This is when I realized that larynx dampening PREPARES the voice for head resonance. In terms of closure basic "QUACK" exercises combined with semi-occluded's helped me get more closure in the voice which I then combined with a slightly lowered larynx produced a very funky tone. Essentially quacking with a dampened larynx and using semi-occludeds such as hmm, nnn, ngg, to maximize success.

Imo the TVS concepts of twanging, semi-occludeds, and larynx dampening are SETTING you up to discover and correctly produce your voice in the passaggio. We are approaching "head voice" or m2 with a lowered larynx, twang, and a semi-occluded such as mm, nn, ng.

However there is one critical concept which has a direct effect on the entire vocal cord mechanism.... the breathing. Which in my opinion still reigns heavy weight champ in saving or destroying the voice.

If I'm blasting air through a "quack quack , qwuck qwuck" all the lower larynx, twanging, and semi-occluded exercises will still not help because WHILE we are doing this we are "pulling back" the air and increasing the speed of the air.

I recently discovered that breathing exercises help somewhat but that breathing must be addressed instantaneously at the moment of production...at the onset. If too much air is used my vocal cords will struggle to stay closed and if they do stay closed it will be with unnecessary muscular effort! Proper breath management and velocity of air seem to be critical my success regardless the other factors.

When training now I am doing more crescendo and descresendo and trying to feel my way through the passaggio but still it is not easy. I wonder what I should do to help me breathe more correctly during the vocal production of the entire voice and especially in the covered tones. How do I tie the breath to the rest of vocal technique to keep the production even and consistent throughout the entire voice going straight through the passaggio to head voice tones.

One last thing... when I feel the breath is correct the tone also seems "buzzier" so there is a physical response to correct breath production... how do I consistently find correct breath support while working out vocally? What can I do to find appropriate breath support management WITH a boomy, connected, and resonant tone?

- JayMC