Uh vs Ouh

Rate this topic

Hey all, I know at TVS we use "Uh" to darken the voice before the passaggio. However I have been having a ton of success with the "ouuh" vowel as in "LOOK!".

Basically just doing the TVS siren where you hummmmm(chest)-ehhhhhhh(sliding up scale)-ouhhhh(straight into passaggio and headvoice).

Why is this exercise so effective for me? The darker/narrower vowel + necessary twang combined with the humming at the beginning is such a great exercise lol :lol:

It's kind of like a "compound exercise" in bodybuilding ha!

Yep, that OO vowel is basically as narrow as it gets without letting your larynx go up that much. This can drive you into head voice quite easily.

What it doesn't have is the 'belty quality' like Owen says. In CVT terms one would say you can't have 'metal' in your voice on the OO vowel in the very high area of your voice.

You can classify vowels in terms of shape of the vocal tract. There are two parameters narrow vs. broad and long vs. short. The EE and OO vowels for example are both narrow, but OO is long vocal tract and EE is short vocal tract. Narrow vowels give you easier access to head voice because they have a natural connection with 'light mass'. Long vowels (like OO) give you a darker sound color (more classical music-like).

The 'eh' vowel (as in "stay") is probably the most balanced vowel in terms of vocal tract shape. It is a good vowel to balance it out and sound consistent through the areas of your voicee.

awesome post benny.

jay, you said.....

Hey all, I know at TVS we use "Uh" to darken the voice before the passaggio. However I have been having a ton of success with the "ouuh" vowel as in "LOOK!".

exactly jay....

it's up to you to figure out which shade of a base vowel you might need for your own individual voice. you need to experiment with subtle shades to see how you get the best tuning.

remember my analogy to the old time transistor radio with the analog tuner.....you tweaked the dial till the station came in as static free as possible.....

and when the vowel is right in the pocket there is auditory and physical validation you will receive . the pitch will be spot on and the tone will feel "released" as opposed to a feeling like you're hitting into something or that something is blocking the tone.