Who is old enough to recognize this song?

• TMV World Legacy Member

I do not recognize this song. If I heard it before I believe I would have remembered.

I like this song and I like the way you sang it.

"You need a strong foundation to reach the heights."

Thanks for liking it. Here's the 80's original:

Come to think of it...it might have never been published in the US.:P

It was a great hit here in Europe though.

That explains it. M and I are americans. And some of the european hits just don't make it over here. Nightwish was on their 5th album before any of their song got played on american radio and only because one record exec thought they could cash in since Evanescence was a big hit with "Bring me to Life."

I like the song better the way you play and sing it than the original. :)

Aaaww..thanx! That's because I think the original is indeed a real European song in the way it sounds and feels. It's hard to explain. There is a lot of music from America, which I wouldn't listen to and dismiss it as "too American".

On the other hand, I just love jazz music and the crooners, and it couldn't be more American than that! Weird, huh?

It would be a nice subject for a new thread: "difference between American, British and European songs" :)

I understand totaly. You get used to a style of music. I was also going to mention the stye of the original and thought I had better not.

Most of the music that I listen to is from the 60s-80s that were concidered top 40 in the states ranging from folk to Rock. The only songs that I have heard from 90s to today are the ones that stood the test of time.

Now that there is youtube I am being exposed to more music from Europe.

There's more that binds us, than divides us.:cool:

Anyway, was there ever in history a song in another language than English in the charts in the US?

There were several that contained other languages. Verses in English and verses in another language. I am sure there were hits in another languages but I do not remember the Titles.

There's more that binds us, than divides us.:cool:

Anyway, was there ever in history a song in another language than English in the charts in the US?

Spanish.

Songs like "La Bamba," and "La Vida Loca." 'Macarena."

When I was a kid, "Que Sera, Sera" was a big hit, though it had both Spanish and English in the lyrics.

"Neunundneunzig Luftballoons," I have heard the original version, which is in German, here in the USA.

The Beatles song, "My Michelle," in French.

"Whiskey in the Jar" has bits of Gaelic in it.

Does it bother you not to be able to understand the lyrics?

When I was young I obviously listened to a lot of "English" music, without knowing what they were singing about.

And even now I sometimes don't understand all of the text, unless I read it from paper.

I feel that if I know the lyrics, it gives the song an extra dimension. Most of the times for te better, but sometimes it can even ruin a song for me if the lyrics are bad! Then I wished I hadn't read the lyrics..:)