Voice cracks on "ah" vowel

Rate this topic

guitar67

Whenever I sing on an open "ah" vowel I find it very hard to keep my pitch. I either go flat, sharp, or my voice sort of cracks and my pitch fluctuates. A few examples of words that my voice often cracks on: laugh, cry, back, like, buy. Any words that have that sort of "ah" sound I have this problem with. Is this an issue of vowel modification? Or should I be able to sing these open "ah" vowels without modification? When this happens I am usually not singing very high, maybe A3-D3 (I am a baritone). Is there anything I can do to prevent my voice from cracking on this vowel?

What I have seen in a number of programs and texts for beginners is that you should begin vocalize and scales on ee. This is to counteract the detuning that happens with most speach patterns. Later on, after you have tuned up, ah is the preferred vowel, especially for higher notes, because it is actually a tall, narrow vowel when done properly. It's kind of like starting out with motorcycles on a Harley Fat Boy(1300 cc) when you should have started on a Kawasaki KLR 450 cc. Baby steps. Even Lilli Lehmann had said that ah is the wrong thing to start on.

Lol at Yoda-ing :) . But I second Owen about the Uh vowel (and the other things). It's just a fact of nature that singing high AND loud notes with an Ah vowel will strain your throat so much that it's much better to slightly modify the vowel towards f.ex. the Uh vowel. That's what most great high pitch singers do.

Thanks for the help guys. A session with a vocal instructor might be a good idea. Keith, I don't have the ability to post a recording right now :( But if I can find a way to do so in the near future I'll be sure to.