question about gaviscon

Rate this topic

VideoHere

folks,

i have worked my way off of prilosec, because we know long term use is not recommended. but my heartburn is back.

wondering if any of you folks have tried gaviscon for your reflux issue.

i was thinking of giving it a try, having read it's the only otc drug that provides a protective layer coating action over the stomach acid.

has anyone tried it?

bob

I swear by apple cider vinegar. Probably a lot cheaper in the long run too.

Had reflux so bad that 3 months ago i lost my voice due to massive reddening/inflammation of my upper GI/oesophagus/throat (even tonsillitis) caused by my pyloric sphincter not closing properly and acid coming up my throat....especially at night. And when i say i lost my voice, i mean i couldnt sing for 3 weeks.

I have since tilted my bed but wow, so much better in the morning since trying the apple cider vineger...i can actually sing 20 mins after waking up whereas before, i couldn't even talk without discomfort post waking up.

Oh - two table spoons before bed should do it.

folks,

i have worked my way off of prilosec, because we know long term use is not recommended. but my heartburn is back.

wondering if any of you folks have tried gaviscon for your reflux issue.

i was thinking of giving it a try, having read it's the only otc drug that provides a protective layer coating action over the stomach acid.

has anyone tried it?

bob

Hi Bob,

Yes I used gaviscon for a while and depended on it. Its action is to create a floating kind of 'alginate' raft over the opening of your pyloric sphincter. This creates a kind of digestible, but temporary barrier to help stomach contents from exiting upwards. It also neutralizes stomach acid for a time.

It's important to know that you should remain upright for a short time after taking Gaviscon. This allows the alginate raft to float upwards to the top of your stomach and firm up. If you lay down immediately afterwards, the side of your stomach will be well protected, but unfortunately not the opening at the top of your stomach.

Gaviscon is only reduces symptoms, it is not a cure for the causes of Gastric Reflux. Seek professional medical advice if you have persistent symptoms.