"You Haven't Been Yourself". original dramatic song

Rate this topic

napoleonboot

"You Haven't Been Yourself". I just finished this original, and fairly dramatic, song. I previously posted an early work-in-progress version. I am very happy with the finished product :) (despite the song being a litttle on the miserable side).

Since the earlier version I retracked the vocals, and added some harmony. Also some instrumentation changes.

This track felt a landmark in my vocal development; discovering that I can be expressive, not just sing in tune. There was a strong element of acting required, especially the spoken part near the end.

Vocals by me, George Williams. Composition and music by Billy Playle. Lyrics by Donna Devine.

As usual, constructive criticism (or even "good job") is welcome.

George

Thanks MDEW!

There was a lot of change from the earlier post:

I redid all the vocals. Including adding harmony in the chorus to make it jump out more. Spoken section was reworked (many many times).

A lot of instrumental changes were made: much more work on strings, odd little sounds sprinkled everywhere, new high-pitched haunting ghosty siren sound at the start and periodically throughout.

Mix also done properly, including EQ on the vocals, and telephone effect on the spoken section near the end.

I'm very proud of the end product. Maybe my best to date.

George

I'm running out of superlatives, George. I would try to speak them in a midlands accent but the last time I tried that, I ended up sounding like the gekko lizard from the Geico commercials (too much London Cockney.) I would have an easier time mimicking my friend, Heath, from Manchester. (And, yeah, I think he's a Manchester United fan. :D )

Anyway, as usual, good job.

(ducking the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, just had to quote Bill, of course...)

Many thanks for listening and commenting geno and ron.

It reminded us of Pink Floyd as we did it.

Ron, if you watch the animated movie Gnomeo and Juliet (it's for kids, but actually quite fun) then Ozzie voices a deer. His part is very funny. My natural midlands accent isn't anywhere as near as strong as his. For the spoken part at the end of this song I used a more neutral/southern accent than my normal spoken voice.

Many thanks for listening and commenting geno and ron.

It reminded us of Pink Floyd as we did it.

Ron, if you watch the animated movie Gnomeo and Juliet (it's for kids, but actually quite fun) then Ozzie voices a deer. His part is very funny. My natural midlands accent isn't anywhere as near as strong as his. For the spoken part at the end of this song I used a more neutral/southern accent than my normal spoken voice.

Ah, then I have some homework to do. I can do an irish accent, sometimes a scottish accent. I will have to email you a ribald joke involving my irish accent.