Just need a little help

Rate this topic

D.Starr

OK been working with this format for a week and I can sing these notes pretty easy but as you'll hear it's pretty quacky. My larynx is a lot lower than what it used to be, lowering it anymore makes it too woofy though.

Maybe it's because I'm using this new thing and I just need to get used to it and settle it in to my voice and then pull back on the twang?

I'm going for the R&B style of singing and this sound doesn't really work.

https://www.box.com/s/66gshmgz3fc4tqrvzhbe

https://www.box.com/s/q2jvrjnigaixy6sqbuua

Any suggestions?

Why do you think you cannot sing with that? Sing a few songs and post them in the critique section.

You cannot tell good or bad from the exercises. You sounded well connected and I could not detect strain. Use that to sing with for a while. Once you get comfortable singing with it you can make it fuller by letting go of some of the twang.

Word up, M. How does a thing translate into singing, which I would expect to be the end goal of us all. While sirens or lip bubbles or doing scales on one vowel (which is how Steven Tyler warms up. He does a scale on each of the italian vowels,) a song is not one long siren on one vowel.

Go ahead and sing some songs. Be a singer.

D.Star... since you're on the same boat as me I'll tell you something you probably have underestimated.

You natural voice is great... but so is ushers... so it JTs... so is bieber.

If you want be ABLE to one day surpass them.... you must be able to rely on 2 things.

1. breath

2. the upper register

Only then will you be able to fully add the power of your full voice into the songs you want to sing.

Look at it this way... you want to sing r&b but to sound more like certain artist you make your voice a certain way.

This is WRONG.... first unlock the potential of both registers and having one voice... then

MOLD your voice towards r&b.... not the other way around. Stop thinking of making r&b sounds.... just make sounds.

Hey dstarr post some song clips.. Other than that it sounds like your going through your range without Any clitches but just those clips without any singing its hard to help you. I will say the very last nuh on the second clip, you did it more like you would sing. Listen to how your breathe flowed with the scale. Keep that up

Thanks for the advice and praise guys.

@Owen - I totally forgot about the TVS 6 onsets video. I have it saved on my PC. It's helped me grow/swell into the sound. It breaks every so often and really distorts/grinds but I've held back and worked into it.

@JayMC I totally get what you mean I just don't want to practice and exercises a certain way then have to curb it towards something else. I'm getting there though.

@Daniel That last one I hit a G4? I think and to think that felt effortless to me, no strain, no grabbing. It is very close to how I sing as well.

I'm currently suffering from a sore throat. Heard a good thing to build stamina etc for the voice was singing whilst running/exercising. Not ran or done cardio in a good month or 2 and really hit it for a good hour. The result was a sore and hoarse throat the next morning. Got a bit of a flemmy cough too :/ I haven't spoke a word in 3 days or sang so hopefully I shall be good by the end of the week. I've learnt to rest my voice. It's not just my voice but it's my career and ambition.

Thanks a lot guys. I'll post back in a few days when I'm better.

I'm currently suffering from a sore throat. Heard a good thing to build stamina etc for the voice was singing whilst running/exercising. Not ran or done cardio in a good month or 2 and really hit it for a good hour. The result was a sore and hoarse throat the next morning. Got a bit of a flemmy cough too :/ I haven't spoke a word in 3 days or sang so hopefully I shall be good by the end of the week. I've learnt to rest my voice. It's not just my voice but it's my career and ambition.

Thanks a lot guys. I'll post back in a few days when I'm better.

One of the most important parts of "singer technique." Rest.

Get well, D. A few days without singing will not kill you or take away your singer points. And it's just a few days against the rest of your singing life.

You sure are smart for a young guy.

Got to reading "The New Voice - How To Sing And Speak Properly" by Alan Greene and it shows these 2 images.

The structure for the maximum use of the upper horn is a low-hanging uvula, which automatically produces a

low soft palate and helps enormously to billow-out the pillars of the fauces. When this structure is acquired, the

tone—for those students who have never experienced or heard resonance in their tones—will feel and sound quite

nasal. It is not nasal at all. The sound is resonant. A breathy, non-resonant sound is the result of a high uvula, a

tense soft palate and collapsed pillars of the fauces, as in Fig. 22.

If the tongue is high, the sound becomes nasal and twangy.

If the uvula is high and the tongue, too, is high, the sound is both breathy and nasal. But as long as the tongue is

low and U shaped and the uvula is low and relaxed, the sound— although it may feel nasal because it is a new

experience—is resonant, and resonance is a necessary tonal characteristic.

Looking at the back of my throat whilst singing, my fauces do collapse but my tongue stays down on most notes, though does come up on some vowels. I just wondered if this is the reason I'm finding it quacky or slightly off.Maybe it isn't affecting anything. Just a thought that is all.