the mix voice confusion.

Rate this topic

Simon T8W

Hello guys, I'm very new to this forum and let me just say I'm loving the post I'm reading by the forum members. :) Well everybody here seem to be able to sing in the 'mixed voice' (at least from the post I read). I have a very 'amateur' question though. I've been training for this for about a year now doing SLS. I want to know your comments about this MUM exercise https://www.box.com/s/vpxtxllnpc564kzl7y2f. Am I doing it well? I have a major concern though. I sound very 'heady' when I'm singing with SLS it's as if there's no chest added to it at all. It sounds like I'm singing in head voice :( Someone adviced me to start with a trumpet like humming sound and open up my mouth to make sound but I still sound 'heady' when I sing. Any advice? thanks guys

Practice chest voice and support and then just take that up. Mix is a nonsense. When you sing higher it resonates in your head but that happens automatically, you don't have to put it there. You just have to keep the same mechanism going.

My personal opinion, get away from SLS. It's a great method for sounding wimpy and heady. Find a different method that will actually get you the results you want. TVS, KTVA, and CVT are highly praised in this forum and I've heard singers come out of all of those methods with super powerful voices with incredible range. With SLS I hear more people complaining about it not giving them results than people actually going on to sing really well after training with the method.

I dabbled with SLS in the beginning too and, same deal, super wimpy and heady, for years. I took one skype lesson with Rob Lunte from TVS and a mere couple days afterward I could actually feel and hear my voice getting stronger. I've been taking skype lessons with him regularly for over a year now, I also have the four pillars of singing program, both of that combined has brought incredibly obvious improvements to my voice...no doubt about it.

I agree with everything in this post 100% as well as the post that Eggplant made.

"mixed voice" is a label many programs (like the mentioned TVS, CVT, KTVT) avoid, because it is confusing to a lot of people. The only place where a mixed voice really exists is if you are able to sense "resonances" mostly in your head. There are lots of people who can't sense those resonances very well, so it is often not a useful term.

To make it a little more clear: On higher notes the shape of your vocal tract has to change, the vowels you sing have to "narrow". This narrowing creates a sensation of "resonance" moving from the back of your throat ("chest voice") towards your soft palate ("middle voice"), towards the upper head ("head voice"). Singing in mixed voice basically means keeping a little bit of resonance in all those three places all the time, so you are kind of "mixing" the voices.

This concept is often explained badly and can only be understood if you are able to sense "resonant spaces" well. This is why the term is often avoided in modern programs.

So what you may know as "mixed voice" most people here would probably call singing in M1 (chest voice) on narrowed vowels.

it's not the program.........it's you........how you use it.....it's what you put into it.

don't make the program responsible for your success. there are some excellent exercises in that program.

dan will tell you, seth riggs (where this whole sls thing came from) is one of the best out there.

awesome #10 post benny.