Various songs on my Soundcloud and elsewhere

Rate this topic

Hey. I enjoy singing even though I'm not very good at it; I want to improve in any way I can, so any tips would be appreciated.

Here's a recent recording singing 'Mad World'

Here's my soundcloud with some old recordings:

On that note, are sites like that and games like Rock Band / Guitar Hero any good for helping you improve? On that site, it seems like if I deliberately try and sing in a very dull way or even out of tune, I get a higher score. For some reason, I can get a very high score just going 'oooo-ooo-ooo' in a very dull (but in tune) way, but singing like I do there I get a mediocre one. Not sure what to think.

Thanks.

It will probably come as a shock to the system but Guitarhero was not made for singers.

You have a good voice that is obscured by some through-the-nose, nasality. Let the sound move back in your head and not so much forward.

So, do you favor r&b?

Well I'm talking about Guitar Hero World Tour and stuff, which has a vocal option. The karaokeparty site presumably works like that and detects pitch, but when I sing like that I get mediocre scores whereas if I try to sing in a dull way (hard to describe) I get better scores. I'm not sure whether this is a fault with the software, or I'm tone deaf.

As for the nasality, I completely agree. I've always had issues with that, not sure how to solve the problem. It's difficult for me to do things like "Let the sound move back in your head." Any ideas?

I actually like rock music mostly, but I don't sing that much because my voice isn't really suited for it.

Thanks for the reply.

edit: Regarding the pitch detection sites, listen to this from Rihanna's 'We Found Love.' The 'aliiiive' part in particular. In the first two, I hum it and it detects it as spot on. In the final bit where I actually sing it, it always detects is as completely off. What's going on here? Am I more pitchy in the last one? Or what? How can I fix this? Clearly I can make the sound it wants, just not when I actually sing for some reason.

Well I'm talking about Guitar Hero World Tour and stuff, which has a vocal option.

Okay, let me try and re-phrase it. Guitarhero is not made for singers, really.

As for moving the sound back, it's okay to use the sinus cavity for resonance. Every sound you have, just about, uses it. But when you go through the nose and tone and air is escaping through the nostrils is when it is too nasal to my ears. It's okay to feel the buzz in the nose or even behind the nose. Just don't let the sound come out through the nose.

So, if you like rock songs, put up one of the those.