Question about Lou Gramm...

Rate this topic

GrammCummingsfan

Hello, everyone; as this is my first post on this forum I first just want to state how much I admire this forum and people like Robert Lunte who work tirelessly to develop pedagogy for modern singers. I was listening today to Lou Gramm singing "Women" on the "Foreigner Best of Live" album and I noticed that in several instances he avoided the lowest sung notes of the song, which are E3s. It makes me wonder: is his voice considerably higher than average? I mean, I know he also sings at the limits of his upper range, but it doesn't actually seem like he had much low range to dip into, at least back in the early Foreigner days. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I crazy? :lol:

hi,

i am a seriously major lou gramm fan....here's a great video that pays respect to him and his range.

lou definitely dipped down here and there, and has a surprisingly low speaking voice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2_VZeEFRfo

hey folks, lou's new book is out.

Lou who?

Sorry, I could not resist being cheeky.

I don't care if Lou worked on that voice for years or was just born with it. An iconic sound that cannot be replaced.

My secret sin, I sing with every darn Foreigner song when it comes on the radio. (I'm old fashioned, I still listen to radio.)

" 'Cause I'm a dirty white boy ..."

well, so far he did have vocal training.

after their first couple of tours he was advised from someone at atlantic records because he began to blow out his voice. he said the grueling touring took it's toll very early on with foreigner.

he was taught by a met. opera soprano teacher with a name i forgot..i'll get it tonight.

he said she taught him so much about breathing, and he still does his scales and all to this day.

well, so far he did have vocal training.

after their first couple of tours he was advised from someone at atlantic records because he began to blow out his voice. he said the grueling touring took it's toll very early on with foreigner.

he was taught by a met. opera soprano teacher with a name i forgot..i'll get it tonight.

he said she taught him so much about breathing, and he still does his scales and all to this day.

You must have been so excited to read that huh? I certainly am.

It's not surprise to me that the "im gifted i never took lessons" talk is often BS and the reality is many artists just rarely get around to mentioning it so people assume they never took any. Or they had small contacts with some great teachers and don't count that as "formal lessons"

I even get it family members or friends who think I'm a self-taught multi-instrumentalist and I have to correct them. Yes I was a little gifted but I trained too, and on most instruments I consider the training at least as valuable as and usually much more valuable than the gift.

After learning to sing, where I had barely any gift and had to work so hard to excel at it, I now get very annoyed by the myth of natural talent being this magical thing that hard work cannot even come close to, and that taking music lessons is this negative thing that the best musicians are avoiding. Absolute bogus.

I also sometimes wonder, when you have decades of experience doing something you make a living at, how is it even possible to avoid encountering some kind of training or education along the way?

Anyways, this is cool. Keep us posted, Bob.

okay, lou was taught by a met. opera soprano by the name of armi galli-campi who had also taught joel gray.

not much to be found on her at all.

i always thought he had to have had some classical training.

lou said she taught him how to breathe and sing many words on a single breath. he said he still uses these lessons till this day.

he also said he pleaded with altantic's management to stop 5 days on and move to an 3 day on, 2 day off cycle but they didn't go for it until after major persuasion.

so check this out folks,

in the book, lou writes that he was in such turmoil with mick jones he decided to purposely undersing a song, he did not like at all.

lou said he just went through the motions to get it recorded and was not happy with the result.

only thing was it became it hit anyway.

here's the song lou "undersang"..interesting huh?

It sounds like Lou's idea of "undersinging" is legit singing, rather than "rock" singing. This is about the cleanest I have heard from him. As opposed to giving it that "punch" you have mentioned on other Foreigner songs.

Maybe?

It sounds like Lou's idea of "undersinging" is legit singing, rather than "rock" singing. This is about the cleanest I have heard from him. As opposed to giving it that "punch" you have mentioned on other Foreigner songs.

Maybe?

thats what I hear too. he's simply singing light, with less effort

Yes, the singing itself is impressive but the emotion and feeling is not there. Quite a difference between this and "Waiting for a girl like you". I wonder what this one would have sounded like if his heart was in it.

This is a good example about what I mean when I say the emotion that you put into a song is what you will get out of it.

he stated that he intentionally undersang it. he did not like the song.

hell, he can undersing really well........lol!!!

did you know one of top favorite cd's was "mr. moonlight?" he also said "urgent" and "juke box" were his two most challenging songs.

i can ever relate.........