Souls of Silence

• TMV World Legacy Member

Once I started on this I had to finish, as I couldn't get it out of my head.

Many thanks to Robert for setting such a fun challenge :) :) :) :)

George

George can often be found playing electric stringy things, and singing... [url=https://soundcloud.com/george-williams-8]and then this happens[/url]

Very well done. Your timing could be better (its really tough on this song, I can empathize) and on the second chorus if I remember correctly, you were a little flat on the word "stood". Other than that the whole thing sounded pretty badass. Cool distorted and aggressively articulated approach. Reminds me a little bit of James Hetfield. But most of all you sounded like guitargeorge, that's the best part. This is the first I've heard of your voice and I'd already immediately recognize you if I heard it again.

Owen

Thanks for your feedback.

I realised I had a few minor timing issues. I found that the hardest spot for timing was around 4'48, the "no mirror" line. That whole section was tricky for timing, I really needed a louder drum track or clicks to lock into the rhythm better. If it had been one of my own songs (in other words, one that I wanted to do more seriously) then I would have retracked those bits, but it was just a bit of fun so I let a few minor mistakes ride.

I hadn't tried singing it before on Monday, a couple of days ago, although I had listened to Robert's version a fair few times over the last couple of weeks. I did listen to the other submissions, but only once through each. I didn't try to copy anyone else, just to get the melody from Robert's version and do my own thing.

Other than the timing being hard to lock into on the 4'48 section, I honestly didn't find it was hard to sing, contrary to what most others said. Actually, I thought it was a really fun work-out. Working on it made me happy :) I think a couple of years ago I would have found it hard though.

George

George can often be found playing electric stringy things, and singing... [url=https://soundcloud.com/george-williams-8]and then this happens[/url]

Guitargeorge, it's funny, I didn't find it that hard either. Although one thing is you stuck primarily to Rob's 2nd version which had lower melodies. But still. The hard part, in my experience, is not merely doing it, it's an easy song to get through. The hard part is making it sound kickass. So my first stab at it didn't really feel "hard" per se, to me.

Guitargeorge, it's funny, I didn't find it that hard either. Although one thing is you stuck primarily to Rob's 2nd version which had lower melodies. But still. The hard part, in my experience, is not merely doing it, it's an easy song to get through. The hard part is making it sound kickass. So my first stab at it didn't really feel "hard" per se, to me.

Well, that would be a matter of capturing Rob's emotional intent, the soul of an artist. And more important than matching notes or timbres.

Or emoting what the song means to you.

Just as in "Gethsemane," there are different sub-texts, depending on who is singing. For example, the Steve Balsamo cover of that song. He seems very meek and apologetic and it comes through. As opposed to my petulant child take on it.

The same might happen with this song.

Ron, get on with it and start working on this tune already. Be sure to throw some signature ronws stratospheric notes in the bridge.

I'm considering throwing a B5 in the bridge myself on my final version of SoS. I am actually able to flip into a different mode I like to call reinforced falsetto which allows me to blow a shitload of resonating air which results in super loud super high notes that will most certainly distort the mic. Your high notes aren't very far off from that approach, I am sure.

Not that hard?! Ive recorded like 300+ songs in the studio im used to workng fast as hell(me and marcus usually records a full song instruments and everything+vocals and mix in an night) did only have a few hours aswell.

After 1,5 hour i was done "haha nailed it i thought" when i listened back every line had some sort of tempo issue lol. Though i managed to spot most of em :)

The hard part is staying powerfull(this song just feeds of power) while trying to get the right feel, and continuing to keep that power and feel in tempo over the 2+ octave rangespan thats needed to sing this :P.

Btw i heard you version reminds me alot of luntes style cool ;)

I'll actually currently mixing the surprisingly hardest song I've ever had to record vocally so far (mind you I don't have that much experience)...the surprising part is it barely even goes above G4 but the way the melody works it's so difficult to nail the pitch, it jumps around quickly. Took me about 5 sessions before I could get it sound the way I wanted it and be on pitch, WITH comping. Man, it's gonna be a royal bitch to do live, but I'll figure it out.

SoS doesn't have those kinds of obstacles, there's nothing funky about the melody it's just high. It does challenge the timing though. The hardest song to nail the timing on out of everything I've sang. And I agree it certainly challenges the laryngeal musculature, it needs a lot of power in order to sound right. But I wasn't really too concerned about that on my first draft.

Jens, Owen and Ron, thanks for the feedback.

I just watched Robert's video of him singing this. I think I sould have videoed myself, as I suspect I was on a par with Robert regarding arm waving and pulling facial expressions! The song demanded a performance LOL!

In May I will have my first ever venture with live singing on stage, when I will be appearing in the local community musical theatre production of "Oliver!". I have appeared on stage many times, back in the day, but always hiding behind a guitar.

George

I will write this, but first give you the knowledge that I have listened to everything you have posted here, and really enjoyed them all! So, I am going to compare this song to your others. I have only 3 statements:

1. This song lacked one crucial element to me - emotion. You sang the notes, but I didn't feel anything.

2. You kinda scated around the hardest notes to sing in the song, (esp around 2:00 ish and 3:00 ish) which is fine. Mine woulda been much better if I did that :) (and , I should have lol) The screams at the pre-coda are unstable.

3. I LOVE the grit you have on some of the notes you sing.

Overall, I liked it enough to make it my #2 as far as the "contest" portion goes.

www.drop-head.com

Keith

thanks for the feedback - very welcome :)

1. I didn't really get into the lyrics, mostly the music. I can do emotion (such as in "You Haven't Been Yourself" the song about suicide I did recently), but I'll own up to maybe being a bit lacking here. I was mostly just having fun! if I had been treating it as seriously as my own original songs then I probably would have taken longer over it and addressed it differently. That'll serve me right for not taking something seriously, and pushing it out in just a couple of days.

2. As for scating around the hardest notes at those point. Honestly, I thought I did them right!. Robert recorded different versions, maybe we are each referencing different ones - this is the one I used as a reference: http://soundcloud.com/robertlunte/souls-of-silence-v3. Please help me understand!

2b. the screams. I'm not sure what unstable would mean?. I did find them challenging, and couldn't do them many times in a session. I am probably doing them in an unhealthy way, which is probably much the same as what you are saying. I should probably learn more about how to sing properly.

3. Thanks. I don't have to try for the grit, it comes naturally. Actually, I have to work hard to sing without it.

I am discussing with some muso friends the idea of doing a complete cover of the song, including the instruments (probably arranged a little differently). If it comes off, then I'll take the vocals more seriously - I promise!

George

LOL! Unstable means tthe note pitch waivers a little. Like an uneven vibrato. It's pretty hard to catch. I only cought it most likely because I pay atention to it. And we would have different versions I suppose.

www.drop-head.com

Ah - that sort of unstable. Yes, I agree. I wish I could do vibrato, but I am rubbish at it. Sometimes I try to add it consciously, and it comes out as you heard. Bad.

Occasionally, on odd phrases and notes, I can do it and it happens naturally, but not often.

LOL! Unstable means tthe note pitch waivers a little. Like an uneven vibrato. It's pretty hard to catch. I only cought it most likely because I pay atention to it. And we would have different versions I suppose.

Yes, I heard this a little bit too and kind of brushed by it, didn't bug me. But it is there.

I used to have it really bad...Rob called it "squirling" or maybe it was "squirreling"...

The fix was to focus more on the breathing, getting the right subglottal pressure, and less on squeezing the shit out of the larynx.

I'm rubbish at vibrato too, I think it's best to commit to straight tone singing if that's the case. I did my SoS version with no vibrato whatsoever

You did a great work, George, i liked it. I also hear some waving notes but nothing major. I think you put emotions into this song especially in the end i felt it. What i also feel is that this really isn´t your cup of tea, i don´t feel that your voice is best suited for this kind of music.