High Light Singing

Rate this topic

Hi everyone, I'm not sure if some of you have noticed it it but modern society has an obsession with high and light singing!

Now is this necessarily a bad thing? I would have to say yes if we factor in that 90% of the artist who do sing this way DO NOT bridge registers. Meaning instead of having a seemless voice they just "water down" chest voice as much as possible.

Since my voice is natural light for a softer song I could sing it in 3 different ways (probs more) so I can water down chest and sing as light as possible or use low falsetto range with a "boomier quality"

OR I can sing right in the grey area. The last one is the hardest and I believe that is the reason why the quality of singing has deteriorated. Don't believe me? Turn on any hit radio station and wait for 15 minutes... you will most likely here someone "pulling chest" incorrectly or singing with such lack of adduction it will sadden you.

IMO the correct way to pull chest is to slowly but gradually sneak the head voice in to the point it is imperceptible. Is this easy? I'll have to say no... for voices such as myself it may actually SEEM easier to just yell.

What are your thoughts on this? What is the correct way to approach high light singing and how do you do so WITHOUT losing closure and connectedness to the body. Now lets say you are training from the beginning is it appropriate to train high light singing first or start with a louder co-ordination and gradually decrease intensity...

Don't be shy folks! I'm sure you have attempted a high light song some point in time, voice yourselves here :)

- JayMC

Jay, again this subject?

http://themodernvocalist.punbb-hosting.com/viewtopic.php?id=6736

http://themodernvocalist.punbb-hosting.com/viewtopic.php?id=6632

http://themodernvocalist.punbb-hosting.com/viewtopic.php?id=6417

Really there is no secret to it, its a lot of study, just that. Anything else is simply unreliable.

This thread is not quite those threads Felipe. One is speaking of a quiet chest voice one is speaking of a quiet falsetto voice.

Imo NEITHER of these are high light singing. REAL high light singing is navigating BETWEEN the registers without losing closure or connected. I am just curious as to what makes this such a daunting task and what is the correct way to approach this?

Some voices may need a total rebalance if they're used to pulling chest so high so lightly... meaning giving up singing some of those notes in chest voice or make sure the head voice is so strong it can pick up where the chest voice leaves off.

I'm not talking about "high chest" here I'm talking about "high mix" meaning when both co-ordinations are working actively to help you sing pianissimo. However it feels like the natural response to singing too "lightly" is to lose closure or end up going into falsetto. Does light singing translate into breathy singing? :cool:

Really there is no secret to it, its a lot of study, just that. Anything else is simply unreliable.

And for the record, if you are looking for a mix between falsetto and chest. It does not exist. You cant mix larynx registration. What happens is that you apply a very similar resonance strategy on M1 and achieve the result you are looking for.

Jay, work on this with songs. Record them. Listen to them. What you hear on the recording may not be what you hear inside your head while singing.

Also it is useful to use a PA system while you practice. You may already be using a sound that you are looking for but it sounds different inside your head.

Hi everyone, I'm not sure if some of you have noticed it it but modern society has an obsession with high and light singing!

- JayMC

Sounds almost like a straw boss, in debating tactics.

Which part of society? R&B music only? Because in much of the recent metal and hard rock, I hear a lot of baritone singers and certainly nothing much like Robert Plant in the old days, for example. And I don't see anyone trying to be the next Rob Halford.

In the alt indie rock, most of those guys are crooning and rarely reaching A4, really.

So, what part of society? The teeny boppers that dig Justin Bieber? I have shoes older than they are.

It's either that or I am getting infected with the Jens contagion. Where I just don't care about range, anymore. Sing what you are going to sing. Quit getting obssessed on technical details.

A few others have pointed out that one is not going to get better at singing by means of endless debate and discussion.

Just sing.

So, I have heard you sing one line from one song.

How about a whole song? Any song, in any range. You keep claiming you are a baritone. You should be able to handle "Hurt." We've got a few people inspired to do that.

Step on up to the plate and swing the for the fence. What are you afraid of? Let me give you some of my chutzpah.

A number of people have criticized me. Told me I don't know what I am talking about. Found absolutely nothing worthy in my singing. And yet, I still do it. (Probably because I am too stupid to quit ... :lol: )

Others have liked what I did.

That's life. Not every one is a fan. But some are. Sing for those who are fans.

Like, now.

So, what part of society? The teeny boppers that dig Justin Bieber? I have shoes older than they are.

Justin Bieber bridges into his head-voice quite well actually, as does just about every singer on top 40 radio in the past decade or so. Actually really that's been the case for many many decades, with a brief break in the 90's for some of the grunge singers who had no real technique.

So really I have no clue what Jay-MC is talking about.

What a silly thread. Many/most pop singers are excellent and are singing difficult material. You may not like their work but you can't deny they're good at it (although there are some that have trouble live).

Yea it shouldn't come as any surprise that the vast majority of people who make millions of dollars off of their voices actually know how to use their voices. There's some exceptions, of course, but save for the grunge era, they're few and far between. And as many have talked about on other threads, much of the trouble live comes from the fact that touring is extremely tough on the voice. Even most experienced singers with the best technique will have a rough night here and there.

Hey guys I'm not saying that rock singing is more or less popular than pop or R&B that's not what I'm saying actually rock singers or any singers in general may want to sing high and light for artistic purposes.

http://www.billboard.com/charts/hot-100

Based of top radio plays.... there's always at least 3 "high light" singing in the top 10 if you look further you will probably find tons more. If you don't recognize the trend then there's nothing more I can do for you lol.

@Remylebeau show me Bieber bridging into head voice "quite well" back up your statement... it has to be a live recording and not "produced" audio.

What a silly thread. Many/most pop singers are excellent and are singing difficult material. You may not like their work but you can't deny they're good at it (although there are some that have trouble live).

Show me a male pop singer bridging from m1 to m2 live seamlessly...actually give a few examples since you just said many/most of them are excellent at singing difficult material. Give it a shot. You may end up looking like the silly one.

You're acting like there are tons of examples of pop singers who exemplify good technique... I'd say its the polar opposite. Sure if you train hard enough you can stretch chest voice far enough so that you can fool someone into thinking your range is super awesome. However I don't think that's what we are trying to promote on this forum lol! When I change through pop radio stations I do hear a ton of cracking and flipping, not that it is ugly it might even be stylistic however it is not PRODUCTIVE to my singing goals.

Eggplanbren no matter how horrible your vocal technique is if I add autotune, reverb, compressors, dynamics processing, and some pitch shifting... you can be on pop radio! It seems almost as if heavy autotune is a pre-requisite to a pop radio song nowadays.

Clearly you do not know much about the current state of pop and r&b music. However you are completely right that they are "good" at what they do. Which is making hits!

Jay, something you might not realize is that some great singers are contractually obliged to use autotune or even lipsynch in certain situations in order to keep the brand intact. There are definitely a few artists who are famous because they autotune (T-pain), but I'd say there's a lot more who autotune because they're famous. John Legend can bridge like it's nobody's business, but he doesn't get the final say on what goes down in the booth.

Chris Cornell and Layne Stanley have good technique, Eddie Vedder does not. There's a good thread from several months back that discusses this.

Eddie Vedder is a great musician and a great frontman in spite of the fact that he isn't a stellar singer.

I think I should have prefaced my comment. Me likee rock and roll. I have not yet listened to a song by Justin Bieber. I'll wait until he starts shaving his face and see what he can come up with, then.

And yeah, I am being an old guy, a curmudgeon and should have stayed out of this one. I just happen to sing high and light and thought it would be neat to point out that a lot of recent hard rock and heavy metal is not sung very high.

My bad.

"Please, continue with the petty bickering. I find it most entertaining." (I can't remember what show I heard that from but I thought it was hilarious.)

They all exemplify good technique? I'd have to disagree. Some of them do as there are even videos of Lambert doing some of the exercises we do. Are they bad artist... no. Would it be healthy to imitate Justin Bieber breaking into falsetto and basing your technique off his sounds... absolutely not.

If they like the sound and aren't hurting themselves, then they have good technique.

They may not be reaching YOUR goals, but that's okay because they're not you.

That's a very wide definition of good technique ahahahah! I do not agree but I do respect your opinion Eggplantbren.

I think I should have prefaced my comment. Me likee rock and roll. I have not yet listened to a song by Justin Bieber. I'll wait until he starts shaving his face and see what he can come up with, then.

And yeah, I am being an old guy, a curmudgeon and should have stayed out of this one. I just happen to sing high and light and thought it would be neat to point out that a lot of recent hard rock and heavy metal is not sung very high.

My bad.

"Please, continue with the petty bickering. I find it most entertaining." (I can't remember what show I heard that from but I thought it was hilarious.)

Me too Ron, I'll take classic rock in a heartbeat over the vast majority of what's on the radio these days. That said, I still do listen to top 40 radio sometimes and have a lot of respect for a lot of today's artists even if what they churn out is not quite my cup of tea.

And you're quite right that at the start of the 90's, the vocal range of a typical rock number dropped substantially. You don't see a whole lot of rock singers out there singing as high as they did back in the 70's and 80's.

I used your Justin Bieber to reference the fact that your typical pop singer can bridge and connect well.

gotta admit though, that one love song he does, is a catchy little top 40 tune.....he's got all these little teenyboppers wigging...lol!!!! what i hate is all of these newer singers all bend pitch and trill everything.

maybe i'll give a whirl...lol!!!

i love when he says "are you excited i'm finally here?"....g.t.f.o.o.h....lol!!!!!!!!!

nz ???

New Zealand. Across a rocky bit of ocean from Australia. In fact, Christchurch is the southern most large port. Expeditions to Antarctica often launch from there, if I am not mistaken. But, with NZ, you really have two distinctions. North Island, South Island.