You made me chime in (Johnny Cash - Hurt)

• TMV World Legacy Member

Awesome, Benny. It's really neat how different we each sound on this one song.

You have such a resounding ring. Mine, of course, is a softer sound and I made up for it by getting right up to the pop filter. Which I could get away with because I think the song is meant to be sung somewhat soft and forlorn. As MDEW described it, worn out and fed up.

Personally, I find singing low requires as much concentration as any other part of the range.

All we need now is the rest of these guys calling themselves baritones to chime in.

:lol:

Keith had a thread for Queensryche covers. Robert Lunte had the "Child in Time" Challenge. Maybe we can keep this Hurt going.

:) No need for anyone to sound like anyone but themselves. So far 3 renditions. All with the proper emotion and intent to fit the song. None sound like the other. All great renditions.

"You need a strong foundation to reach the heights."

As much as he'd be insanely bored by it, I'd love to hear Rob take a stab at this. :lol:

He'd probably be more willing to do the NIN version. He'd sound way cooler on it too.

Good job Benny. You sound the most similar to Johnny Cash out of all of us, not that you sound like him, just relatively. You still sound like Benny. Very nice original take on it. Putting some sweet baritonal beef behind it.

Thanks for the comments, guys!

Yes, let's make Rob do it ;) I would really like to hear some lower stuff from him. I think he might have a really nice low end (like in that song 'Blue Rain', which is already a bit lower than his usual stuff).

I really like these 'challanges', too. Because it gives you a really nice picture of how different singers and different voices approach a certain song.

If I recall correctly Rob's baritonal (I like that word Ron, i'm stealing it) boom is most evident in the verses of his cover of "Child in Time"

I agree. He did some notes in "Child in Time" that I am fairly certain Ian never could do. Awesome rumble.