Had Wonderful, HIGH Range Two Days Ago. No WEAK head voice!

Rate this topic

themixtape

Hi guys, I just signed up with TMV as I read a LOT of the forum posts. I think you guys are pretty helpful, so hopefully you can help me.

I am a yearly member of SS.tv... I think it's a great site and I also have Brett Manning's Singing Success CD series, which is helpful, about half the time. Allow me to explain.

Two days ago, Sunday... I did discs 3 4 and 5 (skipping the talking in between, just the exercises, minus tongue trills)... these warmups are your basic humming on the 5-note scale, lip rolls/trills (plus extended octave 1/2 variations)... no tongue trills as I can't make my tongue do that... nay-nay-nays, muh-muh-muhs, some vocal fry, etc....... and my voice was stellar (like it was, most of my life). I sang Band of Horses "Ode to LRC" with ease, and the Shins "Kissing the Lipless", as well as the one-hit-wonder by James in the 90s called "Laid"... and it was crazy. I was so happy. I warmed up for about 40 minutes total.

The next day, I warmed up for about an hour (using the exact same stuff, but not doing the last disc) as my voice was weaker. My awesome head voice came back for about an hour (but about half as good as it was on Sunday)... then I had to go to work (I'm a guitar/drums teacher mainly) and an hour into my first lesson, I noticed my voice was breaking when talking and I could tell it was really weak. The rest of the night I had nothing.

Today, I'm off work... and can't get back my range. High C (I'm a male) is all I can reach when doing lip trills/rolls, with a lot of breath. I'm not achieving proper cord closure, even with the warmups.

I drank (and drink) a lot of water, and took care of my voice yesterday (not talking much during lessons).

Why is my voice doing this? I'm a male tenor, age 37 (today is actually my birthday). All of my life, I had a smooth connection from head to chest, and falsetto... two years ago, I got the flu and I haven't been the same since. It's like my nice-sounding head voice just died within days... and two years later, I have a nice, relaxed, flowly and HIGH head voice about once a week or bi-weekly.

Please help, or offer some kind of explanation. Btw, I have seen ENTs (and very recently - a few weeks before this) and nothing is wrong with my vocal cords except a little redness/reflux. I have taken reflux meds (2011 only) and propped my bed up about 5 inches (after seeing the ENT-- she recommended I do it).... and none of that makes ANY difference at all. I will say I didn't take the meds long in 2011... (2 weeks tops)

Additionally, I do not smoke (never have/will), drink alcohol, or do drugs. I eat VERY healthily (vegetarian, occasionally vegan), and do P90x.

Thank you for any help!

Hey there and welcome. What you describe is really common. The voice wakes up different everyday. You have got to slowly warm it up and know what the voice is needing that day some days it may need some more breath flow other days you may need to back off find a small connection and build. You carry this instrument around everyday and when you sleep some nights you may completely relax where other nights you may grind your teeth, be stressed, tight jaw. Some days the voice is great other days it could be sluggish. It doesn't matter how long you warm up if your not warming it up for what it needs that day. You gotta know your voice. Hope that helps

This is very common. When trying something new - with the voice - it feels so great. And it sounds great. So you over-do it. You probably didn't do anything wrong - and you probably didn't harm your voice. You probably used some muscles in a new way that they weren't used to. You just need to let them recouperate. This happens to me every once and a while when trying something new. I'd wait it out for a day or two, may take longer. If you try to force it back you are only going to exascerbate the recouperation and make it take longer. Do a daily check and see how it feels.

Happy Birthday, Mix.

Sometimes, you have an off day.

I saw everything under the sun listed in your exercises except .......

Breath support. If you do not manage the breath, you wear out the vocal folds, because you will increase tension elsewhere to maintain pitch and volume.

Don't know without hearing it. I just know that if you don't have breath support, you will strain to keep the note. Strain leads to inflammation and fatigue. Fatigue may take a day or so to heal. Inflammation can take longer. Been there, done that.

Good points by Phil. You need energy to sing at your best.

Which involves:

good sleep

good eating (not junk food or some ridiculous diet. fulfilling meals)

cardio exercise

hydration (warm tea or warm water)

warm up

cool down

On the perfect vocal day you will probably have done all those variables right. If not, something's missing, insufficient, overdone, in the wrong sequence, done incorrectly, something's messed up...

You will still have good vocal days without all of those things, but if you want to guarantee success, I'd recommend you follow that list. I make sure I get to most of that list if I know i'm gonna perform or record a session or whatever.

Also it of course varies by the individual a little bit. You have to find out what works for you.

Also it of course varies by the individual a little bit. You have to find out what works for you.

True that, twin brother from another mother.

My deal with Satan allows quite a bit of lattitude. The highway to Hell is a wide and easy road.

:lol: \m/

Thanks for all the tips...

I definitely get enough calories, I think. Often 2600 on average. I'm 5'10, 160lbs, lean but toned.

I'm vegetarian/vegan (only not fully vegan because I take whey protein after workouts). I eat a lot of veggies and vegan protein sources. Keep the mucous-producing foods at a minimum, I think... I keep sugars at an absolute minimum. Maybe once a week, to maintain sanity... haha.

I also get enough sleep... often, 8-10 hours. When I get a little less sleep, my voice seems to be better.

Re: the breath support thing... I definitely know what fatigue is... it's like my voice is in great shape, I can effortlessly sing in head voice. No strain whatsoever. Just flows out like water cascading.

Then, most days, when my voice is crap... I can barely push out an F above middle C, without tons of air, and can't hold it long.

It literally comes and goes... and the ENTs have no idea why.... they're like "try to talk a little less.... take Prilosec before breakfast..."

I'll see if I can get some audio up, of vocal logs I've done.

Thanks for all your help!

Ok, well... I'm not fine... hence the initial post. :) I eat a lot of leafy greens and nuts and my diet is very balanced, overall. Any idea about what I should do about only having a good singing voice once a week or bi-weekly? :)

If you felt great overall and it's just the singing that wimped out, the issue is probably vocal specific. If it were an overall health thing you'd be having a bad, dreary day and the weak singing would just be a result of that.

Consider vocal-specific health. Overuse, lack of warm up, lack of cool down the day before, not enough hydration, etc. could be holding you back on certain days

Or you could just be using a technique that needs more development and tweaking in order for it to be consistent.

And what is that technique?

I don't know what it is for him. But I think TVS technique is an example of it. The more I practice it the more reliable it gets. In the beginning, whether or not I was able to get any kind of "connectivity" in the head voice would be very reliant on my vocal health since my adductor muscles haven't been developed strong enough yet, they had to be in their best condition just to get something decent. Nowadays I can get that connectivity in less than optimal conditions. You could ask me to give it a go right now (I've barely sang at all yet today) and within a few minutes of practice you'd probably hear good adduction in my head voice. The technique becomes less prone to collapsing into falsetto on bad days because the muscles are stronger and more well coordinated. So when they're not working at their best they're still working well.

I'd imagine it's a similar dynamic with KTVA, the more you work on the "belting wailing in the upper mid voice" or whatever he calls it, the more readily accessible it would become. Especially since he mentions in a youtube video that he doesn't believe any technique will work instantly, that training the voice is similar to training any other muscle of the body.

Ok, I have a feeling I know what the problem is. Too much mucous, maybe.

This week, I think I'm having an allergic reaction to pollen or whatever. My speaking voice sounds a lot lower than normal, but I feel great otherwise. Sometimes, once a day, I seem to be coughing up a little phlegm from way down.

Maybe that's why my voice died right after having the good voice day on Sunday.

Friends have recommended me seeing an allergist... as a near-vegan (I only take whey protein after workouts but maintain a vegan diet otherwise)... wheat and soy could be major allergies for me, and I wouldn't even know. So far so good, though.. been veg for 13 years, and have stayed pretty healthy overall.

So I don't know... I have a gig Saturday where I need to sing a few cover songs... one which is a bit of a stretch for me, the other kind of easy. I just hope my voice comes back by then.

What do you guys think of Zyrtec for thinning mucous and stuff?

Well, I would have to bow out of this discussion. Don't get me wrong, my step-daughter is vegan. And bless her for it.

I eat meat. My heart thrills at the title of Ted Nugent's cookbook, "Kill it and Grill it!"

And I can smoke a brisket that will make anyone salivate.

But I know some people who are healthy being vegetarians, as well as strict vegans. The point being, make sure you get the minerals you need,

The comment about supplements being ground up rocks. Well, of course they are. Everything on this planet is made out of common elements. Only a political-religious philosophy could see that as different.

Oops, I think I said that out loud.

So, let me quote from the Bible.

"From the dust did thou come, and to the dust shall though return."

And that works for all organisms. Flora, fauna, and rocks.

I should shut up, now.

themix mucous, allergies, food, even getting very sick will not disturb technique to the point of losing a huge part of your voice like that. It gets in the way of course, but the simple fact of you searchig for all these causes means its a minor factor. It may be that the mucous is a reaction to stress you are placing on the voice. Or not.

What you describe regarding high range is normal, and its the reason why its so important to train and consolidate everything. Consistency and reliability on head voice will only come with a very good conditioning.

Medication will not make you sing better. May make you feel better, and you can easily start to depend on it to perform. Not a good idea.

Good instruction is a much better solution. GL.

I just want to make the point that there's nothing magical about the vitamins in carrots or apples, it's the exact same vitamins as in the pills. Vitamin A is of course toxic no matter the source although, if I'm not mistaken, carrots only contain provitamins, which might make them safe even if you could eat the huge amount of carrots needed to notice. Actually almost anything is toxic if taken in excess, whether it's "natural" or processed. You could die from drinking too much water.

I'm not saying that a good balanced diet is not the best thing, because I do think it is. It's just that I cringe when people say that the nutrients in supplements are somehow worse than the nutrients in raw food, just because they are manufactured or "not natural". It all depends on the proper balance, but I agree that nature is pretty good at finding that balance.

I had a similar thing happen to me. When I first learned to sing really high - it was great. I started singing all these songs I never was able to sing before. But...I over-did it. All of a sudden my voice was weak. Finally went to the ENT and he saw redness and diagnosed me with LPR. Took me 8 weeks of prilosec before my voice was back to normal. I don't beleive that it was a cooncidence that I happend to develop LPR at the same time I learned to sing high. I think the LPR (or whatever I had) was a direct result of over-use.

The fact that you don't eat past 9 is a good thing and that you tried elevating your head with no success would seem to indicate that you don't have LPR. But the weak voice is most definitely a result of the redness your ENT saw. You've got to find out the reason for the redness and get rid of it. It didn't just get red by itself. There is a reason for it.

Thanks for the tips... I do teach music 4 days a week, in an afterschool program. But I take care of it when I teach, and it's only about 5 hours each day, except one which is only 2 hours. On weekends the lessons are few (house lessons).

Still can't figure it out... but, I do know that allergies came in like a brick wall and brought my voice to a standstill. My voice is lower, more "froggy" ya know... and I don't have a lot of breath. I think that's EXACTLY what happened right after I had that amazing voice (isn't that always the way?)

I am taking zyrtec daily, but I don't think it's helping at all.

Any other thoughts? Thanks!