r&b singing style?

Rate this topic

rurokenji

Hey,

I have always been a guy that listens to a wide range of genre's but lately, i have decided that i want to sing with a r&b style to my voice. Most of my friends have heard me sing and they all reckon that my voice is very pop like. Any tips as to how i can get my voice to sound more r&B ish?

Thanks

Master twang, bridging early/late, breathy and/or dampened larynx, medium-light mass and occasional heavy mass for emphasis. Develop your own style based on what your voice feels happy/comfortable doing.

For example, the singer sings the phrase beautifully but when you do it it's shouty and splatty and sounds terrible. Make the necessary adustments (pay attention to your vowels, bridge earlier on that phrase, cut back the air and keep the ribs expanded so you can get into mix and sing the phrase more "released")

Shouty, splatty, terrible. Which, to me, sounds like a person would be singing it too loud or too "heavy metal" or whatever. And the solution is to lighten and bring finesse. But some people are scared of the word "lighten." That's okay, I have my scary words, too.

Some stuff, I have sang soft and "sounded" weak to me but others liked it. So, someone had to be wrong. And just as likely, it would be me. :D

Many times, here, the concentration is to have the same tone and volume and weight, top to bottom. When, to me, it seems like in popular music, more variation of weight and tone is accepted and even expected.

The question I would have is can people help an r&b singer without bringing their own aesthetic into it? For example, how appropos is it for a fan of Slipknot to advise an r&b singer to sound like Corey Taylor?

How does the singer view himself? Robert Plant thinks of himself as a jazz singer and fellow bandmate, John Paul Jones, described him as a soul singer.

Cloud, I think you can be an r&b singer because you want to be. I like to watch "Live at Daryl's House." He is known for r&b but his voice sounds "blues" to me. But I think it still works. Whether they are covering a Hall and Oates song or he's just singing back-up to whomever is the guest.

they give technical advice on how to become his own teacher like I did above. help someone find out how to develop themselves. teach him how to fish and then let him catch the types of fish he likes.

If you sacrifice your pleasure to please others you'll do a mediocre job because you're up against other people who genuinely love that genre/style so they'll do it better. Do what YOU love and pursue it and your audience will be waiting for you.

Reminds me of a favorite joke. Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will spend 8 hours in a boat, drinking beer.

:)

While I agree with you that we should do what pleases us and that is what I usually do, I also realize that we often cannot hear ourselves as others hear us. But that is also tempered by mentality. Singing is mental, listening is mental.

Amen, Phil. One song I really liked was "This Life" by Curtis and Forest Rangers. It is the theme song for the tv show, "Sons of Anarchy." And a couple of times, in this forum, I have run across people that I thought had the perfect blues voice to do this song. But they lacked the desire and wisely declined.

So, I sang it. And no, I don't sound like the original guy. A number of people liked it, one didn't, such is life. Not everyone will be a fan.

Do your standard vocal routine as a warmup. then rest 10-20 minutes.

Do covers of your favourite RnB singers. You will learn all their tricks. Listen to 1 phrase, pause the song then try and sing it back acapella. Do it all by ear. take it SLOW, don't rush. Make sure you're nailing the pitch. Make sure you're doing the necessary adjustments to make it sound good to your tastes. For example, the singer sings the phrase beautifully but when you do it it's shouty and splatty and sounds terrible. Make the necessary adustments (pay attention to your vowels, bridge earlier on that phrase, cut back the air and keep the ribs expanded so you can get into mix and sing the phrase more "released")

You will get so good with this. You will grow INCREDIBLY FAST. Then when you think you've got a few phrases down, listen to an entire line or verse, pause it and try to repeat it back acapella.

It may take you 1 hour just to nail 2 or 3 phrases. Spend a week doing this for a song and then change songs. You will learn all your favourite artists tricks and colours and styles. If you have a few favourite artists you'll absorb all their tricks and become original.

Hey phil, if i were to practice this like for 30 mins every 2 hours, is that a good routine? I mean, i just tried the exercise for an hour and as expected, i was trying nail phrases to the point where it could sound very similar to the artist that i was imitating from. However, it did get pretty boring doing it for an hour lol. So what do you think of 30 mins practice every two hours? effective?

Thanks

I think i get what you mean, rowns. It's more about you singing and thinking you are a singer of the genre. Like a inner belief? i mean, if you feel your an r&b singer on the inside then your obivosuly going to try and attempt to sing in an r&b fashion. Is that what you meant?

Cloud, I just don't have a lot of rasp in my voice, and don't care to get it, either. In fact, one person noted that I sound like a european folk singer, rather than an american (and I am american,) mainly because I stick to italian vowels and straighter melody lines.

And I have kind of a light voice.

But I still think of myself as a rock singer. Because that is what I sing. I look through my list of covers and it seems like half of them are Led Zeppelin covers. Because that is what I want to sing, whether anyone thinks I sound like Robert Plant, or not. I don't think I sound like him and I don't care whether I do, or not.

You be the singer that you want to be. That is what Phil is saying, I think. And that is what I believe. You want to be a heavy metal singer? Go sing heavy metal. You want to be an r&b singer? Then, that is what you are. Sing r&b songs. Whether you sound like some famous r&b singer, or not. Because you will be the next r&b singer to be copied.

You can be an r&b singer and you don't have to sound like Justin Timberlake or Aaron Neville to do it. You just have to sing r&b songs.

Learning how to sing from songs you like is the way to do it or you wouldn't want to sing. when someone asks me to learn a song for a wedding or gig it's no big deal I've done it a thousand times. Or when I learn a new exercise its that much easier cause I use my voice all the time. And I'm always learning new songs every genre (old soul, Motown my fav's) so learn and sing at least 30 min to an hour everyday why wouldnt you if you love it...ive been learning and gigging for 20+ years I would rather starve. I sing and use my voice from the moment I wake up till bed no bullshit(ask my wife)

Cloud90 30 mins is absolutely fine. don't worry about times so much. The main thing is consistency. Stick with a song for a few days or a week and really nail it down.

Be able to sing it acapella CONFIDENTLY no problem and stay on pitch and make it sound good (you have to decide what is good and what isn't: tip: measure yourself against the artist you love but don't be too hard on yourself!) That's when you've got it and can move on.

Blessings

Yeah, i am thinking of doing 90 minutes a day - divided into 30 minutes every 3 hours or so. One thing i have noticed is that when i try and sing any other song with my normal voice, i can kinda see a lil r&b twang to my normal singing voice lol. So yeah, it defo is working! Small steps but it's getting there. Just finished my first 30 mins of the day of the exercise :)

Hey phill,

I know everyone's voice is different and learns on it's own time but i was just wondering how long roughly do you think it would take my own voice to develop it's own r&b feel , based on the fact that i prob would practice your exercise at least 90 minutes a day? I feel, my voice has already developed a lil r&b feel to itself after just one day and a half of practise..So prob maybe a month to my voice develops a sort of prominent r&b feel to it?

Everyone thanks for the advice. Really supportive!! I will definitely take it all on board. Seems, i came to the best place!!

I, too, find inspiration in this forum. Whether I learn something from someone here (which has happened more times than I can count and I can count pretty high,) or get inspired to learn from another source ancilliary to here or something we are talking about.

Even the chance to help someone such as yourself helps me to learn, as well.

I have been a teacher. A teacher of electrical trades, both on the job and somewhat informally, and as a teacher in a government-funded training program. And it is true, you can learn something new by how you teach it to someone else. Sometimes, you learn something about the craft, sometimes you learn something about the art of teaching.

Some things about teaching transfer to any field of instruction. But not everything. For example, just because I could successfully teach electrical trade does not mean I would be a good teacher of singing. Each is, I think, a specific skill set. For example, while bending pipe requires hand-eye coordination, it does not require good pitch perception. Whereas, being a teacher of singing, I think it would help to have good pitch perception and not so much physical coordination to use a 1/2" conduit bender.

Being a singer means dealing with being on stage. Being an electrician means being 40 feet in the air in a bucket swaying in the wind. Being a singer means putting yourself out there, even with a problematic audience. Being an electrician sometimes means working on a circuit while it is energized.

Each has its challenges.

So, you are Cloud, an r&b singer, in various stages of development.

Hey man,

Depends on what is enough for you. You may feel in a few weeks that you've gained everything you wanted. It's really a personal question. figure out exactly what your goal is, what you want to sound like, and you will be on the path to teaching yourself so many things.

I've got the range now and can sing without pain so my focus is on artist development mainly now. developing and honing my style.

I'm always working with songs from my favourite artists, I see it as a private lesson with them. There is so much to learn from them. Marty Friedman told me to always cover songs by my favourite artists and to always do it by ear, never with tabs or sheet music. I whole-heartedly agree. This way takes much longer but your ear develops so much. Everything develops and grows.

Yeah, that is spot on!! I will see how it goes, really. Prob will stop till the point where i feel i have achieved the stage i am. Your exercise really works!! I can't believe i never thought of it. Already seen a massive difference. It's not on a great level yet but it's getting there!! Can't wait, to hear the difference after a month of using that exercise. My ear picking up skills seem to be improving. I am guessing, the technique also works on the individual ear skills as the exercise solely depends on ear

• 3 weeks later...