Singing to Crowds

Rate this topic

What should be the intention and what technical tools do I have to become louder, more expressive (tonally), and just sound better.

I feel it is not to correct to "Project the sound only forward" because sometimes the audience can be from all directions. In a big room without microphone what is the most logical way to get your sound across without sounding "yelly."

For example when I record something on my phone if I record it infront of me it sounds great however if I'm holding the phone "behind" my head the sound is not great at all... until I warmup again with basics and project towards the phone "behind me" the sound becomes clearer and stronger.

What should be the thought process towards singing to small crowds and what exercises help build the parts of my voice needed to be big, resonant, and carry throughout a room? Not that I'm against microphones guys but I think if I want to sing to my friend who is across to room I should be able to without struggling. So far for me just "crying" to a specific object or person at a far away distance (no need to even look at them after you know where) helps and have a stable larynx not bouncing up/down, if I take a minute and really focus on how loud/resonant I want the sound to be just (crying) the pitch it works... I don't think its "more muscle" I think it's just a primitive function we as singers need to learn to master. Think back when you were younger yelling at someone in your family for something, did you think about "strain, jaw tension, lip tension, etc" you just were loud as a produce of support, vocal cords, projecting into the resonance chambers correctly.

It would be incorrect to say that "support" is not involved in crying or very loud sounds as the vocal cords are sort of "fed" air because imo when I use too much air "poorly" it is impossible to make loud sounds for long periods of time I get worn out espsecially if its right in my passaggio area.

I notice it is much easier to be loud and clear if I purposefully remove air, think of expanding the ribs, and just cry the word "mUHm" maybe just to see what I'm getting at... how can I train this "ease of loudness" better overtime without hurting my voice.

- JayMC

Jay, the only place where your voice comes from is your mouth, and in a much smaller degree, your nose, hopefully they are in the front of your head. No matter what you do, your voice will not come through the back of your head, unless you are alien or had a very serious and strange kind of trauma that left a hole in your skull.

The sound will resolve on the room reverb, and it irradiates in all directions, theres is a sort of "cone of power" that extends forward and opens, but it is not a "hard limit" that the sound will follow, it spreads, even if there was no reverb, people behind you would still hear you.

You dont project forward or backward or to the sides. You just project, and the loudness takes care of others hearing you. People behind you will not hear you as clearly as someone in front of you, not much you can do. More power in the 3Khz area will make you sound "closer" and clearer to everyone, still those in front of you will hear you better.

Again, going very far on ideas of little to no importance. You dont need special procedures to sing in a small room without amplification, as long as the other instruments are all accoustical or just not amplified to the death, should all be fine.

Hi.

I may be wrong, but I think you are misunderstanding "volume". What you describe is resonance, not volume or power.

I can make little head voice vowel fills up a room without having to force it, if i do it in a sort of "classical soprano way".

Jay, sing along to some music but turn up the music loud. You may instinctively make the right adjustments to be heard. Practice that way. Then remember that sensation and do it a capella.

It really comes down to using more chest musculature (also bridging later), more subglottal pressure (air pressure applied below well adducted vocal folds), and more resonance.

Jay, the only place where your voice comes from is your mouth, and in a much smaller degree, your nose, hopefully they are in the front of your head. No matter what you do, your voice will not come through the back of your head, unless you are alien or had a very serious and strange kind of trauma that left a hole in your skull.

Well done, Felipe. That gave me a mental image that is going to stick, for a while.

Hey, Jay, how about recording yourself singing a song in a room?

I mean, more than one line. Like several lines, like a whole song.