Wish I was a bass (super low singing)

Rate this topic

Basso Profundo inspired me here, I wanted to keep working on my low range...

Unfortunately I am not bass, but baritone :(

Anyways, I bottom out in the low first octave here, and it sounds very dark and scary!

Basso Profundo inspired me here, I wanted to keep working on my low range...

Unfortunately I am not bass, but baritone :(

Anyways, I bottom out in the low first octave here, and it sounds very dark and scary!

"I bottom out in the low first octave here, and it sounds very dark and scary!"

Why should that bother you? All of your songs are dark and scary.

But that is why I like them.

Thanks guys! Practicing lows quite a bit as of late, and my technique is getting a bit better. Still, 'basso profundo' ( user on here) has that thread that demonstrates REAL bass vocals. I only wish that my genes were as lucky as some to have such a naturally low voice :(

I am working on an actual song that will use some really low choir vocals, much like this! It will be rather short and entirely vocal.

lol! Adon...I think great music and songs encompass all ranges. We each just have to do the best we can with our part so the whole comes together to make beautiful results. That being said...It is great to be a Bass!! lol!!

Really though...it took me a long time to embrace it myself because I wasn't given the freedom to use my entire voice because everyone immediately stuck me in my "bass box". I've since liberated my voice and work to perform any piece of music I like regardless of what voice it was written for. I think I'm one of few if any Bassos to record Nessun Dorma. (see my YouTube Channel) but anyway...I just wanted to share this video showing my range sample.

ps...that's a very cool technique you display on sound cloud!

Thanks for showing that! It's hard to just ask singers for a range demo!

My recorded vocal range is so far a full voice Eb1 - E5. Falsetto I can get to G5. Most people have so far placed me in 'low baritone' which is very disappointing to me, because I am so close to 'bass' haha!

You are lucky Basso! Your voice type in particular is especially genetically scarce! How did your voice change as a kid? Really fast and sudden or a gradual process of cracking?

Yeah, I know what you are talking about. I always thought of me as a bass-baritone. Not a real bass, but a bass with easy access to bass range (at least easier as most baritones). While I can do notes as low as Eric, they just don't have the texture and "boominess" he can produce.

Your voice is kind of similar, placed somewhere between bass and baritone. Your fry technique is cool however, and with amplification and using the mic bass boost ("kissing the mic"), you can get quite close to the sound of a real basso profundo.

And I'm a garden-variety tenor who can fake a few "low" notes, if you consider G2 low.

But I really like deep, boomy voices. And it takes as much work and concentration as any other part of whatever range.

Thanks for showing that! It's hard to just ask singers for a range demo!

My recorded vocal range is so far a full voice Eb1 - E5. Falsetto I can get to G5. Most people have so far placed me in 'low baritone' which is very disappointing to me, because I am so close to 'bass' haha!

You are lucky Basso! Your voice type in particular is especially genetically scarce! How did your voice change as a kid? Really fast and sudden or a gradual process of cracking?

My Father is a Bass but my voice surpassed his some years ago in richness, depth and resonance. My voice changed when I was 12 and dropped right to the floor. I didn't go through the wavering rollercoaster vocal change that I guess most boys experience. It has been somewhat of a spectacle ever since. It's funny you say it's genetically scarce because while singing in High School Chorus and other Choral events throughout my life...I've had Directors and vocal professionals alike make that same assessment. Like everyone else...my voice will continue to drop a bit as I get older. I'm just hoping I still have the ability to put it to good vocal use when that happens.

Thanks for the support!

Lord Adon, that’s awesome!

Tell us a bit more about how you do it. Are you mixing your chest voice with vocal fry to produce this tone. If you want something inspiring, listen to Yuri Wichniakov :

It seems there is also another technique to produce very low notes that I wanted to share here, because I lately have been interested in polyphonic chants.

See at 4.15, this is really impressive. And when you hear this guy talking, I don’t think this guy is a basso. I think the notes are produced with the false vocal folds.

Forest what you hear in that second clip is throat singing. I recorded myself using that technique to get down to a C1. In my choir clip however, I'm not throat singing, just bringing normal voice down really low. It feels like you have to activate more of your vocal cord to get down that low, and it's a bit tricky sometimes.

I try to find that sensation of being able to feel more of the vocal cord, or at least more of the throat when producing the lower sounds. If you can keep that, you will be able to go lower with a better sound.

@Basso that's really quite interesting. I have heard of changes like that happening before. (this guy

)