stress before live singing

Rate this topic

forest_gimp

Hi there!

I think it is a common topic. But my issue isn't realy stage fright ( once i am into it, i only think about singing and don't care anymore ), but this kind of stress you get the night before performing.

I almost always have a crapy night before a live performance. It is kind of a vicious circle : i keep on thinking that my voice is going to crap out if i have a night off, and this thinking actually ruins my sleep for real.

It won't be an issue if the songs i sing are easy ones, but for instance, today, i gonna have to sing difficult songs a capella in front of a hundred person crowd, including Stairway to Heaven. I am really freaked out to hear my voice crack on a high note.

Is anybody having the same issue. Do you have some kind of mental programming tips to avoid this?

last sunday i sang acapella on the song "silvia's mother." i loved it.

it's all how you view things...look at acapella singing as an opportunity to really shine because the audience will really get to hear all the little touches and nuances in your voice that otherwise gets lost in the music.

the vibrato, the dynamics, the feeling, the soul, the passion all can really come through. you can really draw them in to you if you sing with all your heart and soul.

just remember some songs have vocal gaps so pick one that keeps the lyrics going without a lot of long pauses to interrupt the flow of things.

FG- On those songs, try and think about the lyrics, their meaning, their meter. If you think about 'HIGH NOTE!!!' it's going to give you issues. If you think of a tense throat, your mind gives you one. I notice that on some nights, I'll be singing great. Then I think "Wow, I'm not having any vocal issues, why? what am I doing?"- AS SOON as I do that, I'm screwed. I start focusing on the voice, throat, etc. and all the sudden, my voice will do something wonky. Do what you can to take yourself OUT of thinking about the voice at those times. It helps me. Before the gig on a particularly stressful day, I'll MAKE SURE I take ten minutes JUST TO STRETCH and be SILENT before the gig. Just get away from everyone, chill, breathe deep and stretch out a bit (neck, rib cage, under the jaw massage also is cool).

Going off what billy said I sort of agree but you also want to audiate your high notes meaning right before the note you hear in your head the exact pitch and tone you want and know your voice can make. This tremendously increases the likelyhood of nailing the note and also preps your technique without having to think technically.

Hello guys,

Thanks for the advice. It has been awesome in fact, and judging to the crowd enthusiasm, it makes me want to do this more.

I sang this French song :

I basically feared to lose my vibrato on the F#4 chorus notes but I actually didn’t! as this song is quite known in France, the crowd soon started to sing along so I really gave all I had.

Regarding stairway to heaven, it was a bit the same. For the last notes, I belted the lowest A4s, something I rarely do ( I normally sing the whole thing in m2), but I really felt the will to give the song power and I has a confidence boost because of the enthusiasm.

My singing occurred late at night, and it was in a crowded ballroom with people drinking and shouting. Well, if I drank and shouted with the guys, I know for sure that my voice would have crapped out at the time I had to perform.

Stay quiet, don’t drink too much, warm up, and go for it!

Quotes from some old singing book.

"The eyes look but don't see"

Your eyes might be looking at your audience but that is not what you're focusing on. Be focussed on resonating like a mad man!

Quotes from some old singing book.

"The eyes look but don't see"

Your eyes might be looking at your audience but that is not what you're focusing on. Be focussed on resonating like a mad man!

Exactly. I prefer to kind of stare into space when I perform. To tune out any visual distractions without closing my eyes and seeming disconnected from the audience.