Original Prog Rock with naturally distorted vocal and good low demostr

Rate this topic

I wanted to see how long I could make the title...

Anyways, here is a new song that's got some good production so far.

I am almost satisfied with the vocal takes too, so far.

Here it is:

And it's a good chance to hear those 'low baritone' vocals LOL

By the way, the title 'naturally distorted' I mean the technique I use with rasp and all that.

Your voice is friggen awesome man lol

Kind of a cross between Warrel Dane and Dio(if he was a low baritone)

This is one of my all time favorite original tracks on this site

i've listened to this at least 5 times before posting, the only criticism/ advice i can offer is that there is something missing in the low end of the mix... other then that its a pretty awesome track.

Thanks Chavie!

I started singing Warrel Dane songs early on, and Dio is my number 1.

About the low end, it really depends on the speakers you are using... Many headphones or small speakers will lack low end. On the contrary, I've listened on two different sets of monitors and it sounds well balanced.

Great stuff.

Are you using vocal fry to get down deep?

The vibrato in places (sustained notes) is a bit wide for my tatse, maybe you did it that wide for effect?

Lots of power, well done. Did you also do the harmony vox? they are at a much higher picth than the main vocal line. You have excellent range if you are.

It's a great band in the background, friends of yours?

The song cuts off early?

It's not vocal fry, it's just low singing (low baritone singing).... I have been placed by a few people as 'low baritone' but yet I lack the weight of say an actual bass singer.

I did all of the instruments too, and the mix (which I accidently cut the end off of)

I did the harmonies too, the vibrato is intentionally wide.. I was thinking Bruce Dickinson there.

So far my recorded full-voice vocal range is Eb1-E5 or so!

Thanks George! I really enjoy listening to all of your songs by the way.

Oh, and you might have noticed that the wide vibrato is the same on the harmony track, so the vibrato perfectly fits with the other, I thought it was a really cool sound!

Adon

yes I spotted the syncronised vibrato. My vibrato is not very heavy, and I don't have level of control over it. I'm jealous ;)

I have never measured my own range, I will try it against a piano at the weekend. I read recently that Ella Fitzgerald had a 3 octave range, and I can easily do that.

I also enjoy all your stuff. Very different approach to me, but it takes all sorts :)

I stick to stuff that's generally dark and heavy!

I just mean that I have Eb1-E5 used in songs so far. Last time I measured my range with piano I could touch on full voice G5, and I can get a C1 on a good day :cool:

I try not to use fry on lower notes because it lacks tone...

I understand not liking the vibrato, I hated wide vibrato when I first heard it, but then I heard '2 minutes to midnight', where Bruce sings 'dont pray for our souls anymore' and thought it was the coolest thing.

Very cool. I hear the shades of a grittier Bowie again as I did in one of your other clips. Who would have thought something like that would work in this context, but it surely does.

Thanks guys! It wasn't my strongest though; I recorded the vocals at like 8pm and I was already pretty tired, my diaphragm wasn't totally up to it to be honest. Plus I haven't really sang high in a while, since I was very sick from a vitamin C overdose the last week.

I definitely get the Dio connection and not just because of some of the tone. But the music, at times, reminded me of "Gates of Babylon" and similar works.

Good stuff, Adon. I will always be one of your fans.

I wanted to point something out about how many overtones I get while singing. If you listen to 2:30 in the song, you can hear some crazy overtones in the voice going on.