Adam Levine?

Rate this topic

Okay, getting away from "The Voice" and the whole "golly isn't he cute" thing-

What do you guys think of Levine's vocal approach? I'm not a big Maroon 5 fan, just because I'm older and don't have a lot of time to listen to the radio (too busy working, playing shows, etc.). I've heard some of the studio stuff over the years and it's okay. Not my favorite, but I've heard much worse.

Anyway, I got to wondering how he'd be as a live singer, so I checked out Youtube. There's a full show there and I'm checking it out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhedUU-dULI

To me, all his high notes seem to be all falsetto with no bottom connection. There are absolutely no "power notes" or "big notes" because most of anything that's high, is falsetto.

To do this, it seems the guy would have to sing really quiet to connect like that. This would be a cool trick to have in your bag of vocal tricks, just because it's different, but I don't think you could sing rock like this as it's just too light. I dunno, just curious on your thoughts on the dude as a singer. Definitely distinctive and his 'own thing'. Not sure how a voice like that would hold up on tour. Seems like falsetto is usually the first to go, but maybe that's if you're bringing your chest up too high all the time. Michael Jackson seemed to have a very similar voice, though he had more bottom in his, as does Bruno (who I think is a great singer).

His tone is too midrangey for my taste. I guess it comes from not enough space in the pharynx and too much in the mouth. He directs everything toward a bad "ah" vowel shade, and doesn't use much twang to brighten up the high resonances.

I could care less whether he's in falsetto or not. First and foremost, I just don't like his tone. Also don't like any of his music except for maybe "This love" which is still only an okay song. So, I personally prefer to have nothing to do with him.

Adam Levine's voice has nothing on Michael Jackson's and definitely not on Bruno Mars...I think out of those three you mention, Bruno sounds the best to me by far. Speaking of Bruno Mars and Michael Jackson...watch this if you haven't already see it. Not only is it hilarious but also a great demonstration of Bruno's talent and versatility.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkf9nV1NEeE

Yeah, I saw that bit a few weeks ago. Hilarious.

What I meant on the comparison is that they are similar. I agree with your assessment of the three singers, totally. And I agree that Levine is super mid rangey. The reason I bring up the falsetto stuff is because you won't see someone like this singing rock. Imagine Levine's voice on a Foreigner song- I don't think it'll work. But, having said that, I'm curious on his approach- does he sing loud? IS it all falsetto, how does he maintain it, etc.

His voice kind of made the band in my opinion, but now days I find their music not to my liking at all.

I kind of think his voice performs better in a studio setting, where you can hear the harmonic content a bit better...

It is rather flat sounding live, but still good.

The biggest problem I have is that their music is so heavily processed that I can't tell him from any other singer on the radio these days. He has a nice voice when I can actually hear it. Never been a huge fan of their music.

I love his voice. Not a rock singer not really a pop singer too. His voice is unique. And guys, instead of singing a journey song try a maroon 5, and try to fit the style of Levine. Really really hard!!!