Head to Chest Voice

Rate this topic

jzhang172

Am I supposed to be able to sing from head voice to chest voice when going down the scale? It's easy enough doing it upwards but I have to slow down the scale to get to my chest voice when I just use my head voice

Yes you are supposed to be able to do that. But going up and going down are two different things to get good at and it's natural to have an issue with one or another. Singers sometimes don't keep consistent breath support coming back down causing issues. Whatever breath support you use going up you need to use the same exact amount coming back down.

lol jzhang I have the opposite problem! its harder for me to do chest-head.

"whatever breath support you use going up you need to use the exact amount coming back down"

someone please make a poster of this... i'll buy it haha.

Support is the same, going up has a tendency to overdo and not release/pass. Going down has a tendency to relax support.

/not pass back to chest.

If you can bring it down, revert the exercise instead of low-high-low. Do high-low-high. Try to do it all on head first then let the low pass to chest.

However Jay, fundaments will prevent it from working.

I have the opposite problem too, i'm pretty good going downwards but upwards it's clunky. Though I've had days where the reverse happens, it depends. Even after a year of training I still can't do slow ascending sirens consistently, they're really freaking hard!