"Chesty" tone?

Rate this topic

Hanalei

A few times, I've seen people refer to a singer as having a "very chesty" tone, or that a particular note was "chesty". What exactly does that mean? And how do you get a similar sound? Is it just the way that you're breathing, or is that something that comes naturally and can't really be learned? (I'm assuming that "chesty" is the opposite of "nasally"...)

Chesty usually means more "rumbly" more boomy.... the embodiment of power. Think of your fav bass or baritone singers. make the lowest AH you comfortable can...

I would say nasally is not something you want to do unless you have first mastered twang and heavoice. nasal singing is an epidemic because people think you need to sing nasal to sing high. im sure other members of the forum can help you out some more.

A "chesty" tone is one with a strong H2 (the second harmonic may actually be higher than the fundamental). That's acheived with TA activity and support. Normally your speaking voice is creating that "chesty" sound, however you may speak very quitely. If you yelled, that would be a "chesty" tone. Yes females can do it just like males.

"Does it come with having a stronger voice?" Well is doesn't really "come" unless you train for it.

This is a chesty sound. I don't use head voice or any such thing. (listen to higher vocals)

Of course women can have a chesty sound. They usually try not to, from what I've seen.

I have heard a few but listen to none, sorry. Many of the 'belting' female singers I have heard have left me in disappointment for their evident lack of chest sound all together. There is nothing wrong with a lack of chest sound, it just doesn't sound as powerful generally speaking.

Most singers, even males, sing with their speaking voice more or less.... That means they have to use a lot of different tricks to try and get through the vocal break without a seam... Women have a break too but it is far less noticeable, and so they often do not worry about singing any way other than how they regularly speak.

Just an observation.

I do just sing, but apparently my voice has a bit of a nasally tone. I certainly don't intend for it to be like that. The only time I try to make it nasally is to hit lower notes that are tougher. I'd much rather it sound nicer (not that it sounds bad or anything) Is it just because of lack of experience yet or something?

Your voice isn't nasally because of your vocal cords, it is nasally because of the way you're singing. try keeping that in mind next time you sing and see how you can change the sound.

Hanalei, I listened to your examples in the review section. Even though it sounds light and kind of high texture you are singing in chest voice. How old are you? And are you male or female? Either way you have good sound and you are singing pretty smoothly through your range. I wouldn't try to push for a deeper sound.

I'm an 18 year old girl. I've just recently started singing and have taken 4 voice lessons so far. Neither of the coaches have pointed out any particular problems.

For those of you who haven't heard my clips, here's one of them. The lowest note I can generally hit is a C3-ish, and the highest (so far) is somewhere around a D5. Listening to this clip, or any of the ones on my SoundCloud page, does that sound as chesty as I could get, or is it still pretty... non-chesty? (Haha I don't know of a word for it)

https://soundcloud.com/user7915197/you-give-love-a-bad-name-bon

[And yes, I know I screwed up the lyrics a few times. :cool: ]

I plan on doing rock. My favorite singers are Jon Bon Jovi, Richie Sambora, Keith Urban, Ann Wilson, Drake Bell, and Pat Benatar. 90% of what I listen to besides those listed is classic rock. I would love to have a similar sound (not exact, obviously, since I'm me and not him) to Jon Bon Jovi, especially from the late 80's to mid 90's. Basically, I think it'd be pretty cool to someday have people listen to my music and be able to pick out Bon Jovi as my biggest influence, but still sounding uniquely me. Would it help at all if I posted a video of the general sound I'd like, or is that a good enough description?

Joan Jett. Pat Benetar, Bonnie Rait, melissa Etheridge..... All rockers who use Chesty distorted sounds that get close to Bon Jovi sounds. Ann Wilson is awesome...

It's cool that your goal is a sound different from most females. You do not need to get the exact sound of another singer. Sometimes it is the attitude that comes through that is the essence. Not the actual sound.

If you read that before I edited. I missed an important word You do NOT need the exact sound of another singer.

Stupid Keyboard :P

Hanalei - I listened to the Bon Jovi cover and yes - you are in chest or singing in a "chesty" tone the whole way through. You don't have to post examples of your favorite singers - from your clip and the names I know exactly what you're after. Cool bunch of pop rock artists - I like that stuff and sing in that style too. You've got a nice balanced tone.

You mentioned your upper limit is D5. Of course you could go way beyond this if you want. You'd have to work on transitioning into your head voice. Once you do that you can carry up your voice way beyond your current limit. Ann Wilson for example can do this.

Hi Hanalei. I listened to your clip and I have to say that you got great potential already for making your vocal dreams come true and get the sounds and skills you want. Already you have a sense of melody and have clearly good taste in music (I'm a Bon Jovi fan myself, lol, and have recorded one of their songs a few years ago:

). You just need to believe in yourself a bit more and sing live a bit more and then it will show in your voice.

To get to the next level I think you need to

1. Choose a vocal coach that you feel you have a good connection with and train with him/her for a year or two. Don't be afraid of switching coaches as soon as you feel something isn't working quite right.

2. Sing live as much as you can, even though you feel like you don't have as much vocal skill now as you'd eventually like.

3. Fix a few technical issues that I can detect in your clip, such as improved breath management, caring more about how you end phrases, learn vibrato to some extent and even slight distortion to use sparingly for effect (like Jon does), improve some vowels (like using Uh instead of Oh in "WOOOOW, you're a loaded gun), and, very importantly, not losing your energy at any point in your singing, especially for a song like this - you sing with attitude a lot of the time, but sometimes it drops and it's most likely due to some slight shyness or/and technical issues. We could help you get started with some of these, but it usually involves sending vocal clips back and forth and also choosing a good vocal training program and just sticking with it.

4. Use this forum for extra help :) . It rules, obviously.

Have a nice day, you're half way there and don't give love a bad name. Enough babbling on my side :)

Have a nice day, you're half way there and don't give love a bad name. Enough babbling on my side :)

Clever :D

And thanks! I am taking voice lessons, but I've only done 4 so far. They're not very cheap, though, and there's only 3 voice coaches within 30 miles of me. I've taken lessons from 2 of them.

I'm sure some - probably a lot, actually - is confidence related. I've always been very quiet and have never sang in front of anybody before, including my own family, so this is quite a change for me. Haven't sang for my dad yet. I've come a long way so far - when I first started, I had to turn the music up loud enough that I couldn't hear me at all. Now I can have it quiet enough that I can hear me as loud as the music. It's definitely better when I'm not paying so much attention to myself and am just having fun with it, but it's usually hard for me to just sing and not be so conscious of what I sound like.

It seems liek most of the pro singers started singing when they were kids, so I've got a long way to go to catch up, but I feel like I can do it.

PS: Jonpall, you've got a pretty good voice there yourself! :)

Thanks :) . I have a rock screamer inside the otherwise easy going me, something you seem to have a bit of yourself. Actually, in some spots in that clip you were using a type of voice setup and choice of vowels (Oh, f.ex.) that could lead to to become TOO loud and shouty. On the higher notes you might want to look into getting more of a mixed voice or a sound that has power without being strained, pushed or shouty.

This and other things can all be improved upon with a good voice teacher/coach. Note that many people here are getting help via coaches or even just internet friends via Skype, so you don't have to see a coach in your home town. I could be wise to check out new coaches. I think you have a special quality of tone and feel in your voice so keep it up and don't give up. Cheers.

Is there an average of how many lessons most people take before they notice significant improvements? I mean, I've improved a lot since I started, but I'm only at 4... How do you know when you've taken enough to be able to take a break from the lessons? Just for future reference. I know like Jon Bon Jovi has taken lessons on and off a couple of times rather than consistently taking them.

It's more a matter of how frequently you're training by yourself at home, than how frequently you see a vocal coach. But you take the info from the coach and apply. Btw. I think that Jon must have had a bad vocal coach at some point because his voice got worse. But recently it seems to be improving a bit.