How to curb ???

Rate this topic

mathdel

Hi, I'm trying to understand how I should use curbing properly.

Can someone post a youtube link about this, or make a video or audio sample from himself explaining and executing it ?

That would be great !!!!

Hi

I've made a short sound clip which should make reasonably clear what cvt-curbing is.

Curbing is the mode best suited for medium volume singing and can be sung at volumes from 4-7 on a scale of 1-10

It is a good idea to compare to a lower and a higher volume to find your medium volume.

Curbing is singing "through a hold" which I explain and do on the recording, the character should be slightly plaintive, but that can be more or less evident. On the recording I try to make it very obvious.

The vowels that work best in curbing are IH as in "sit" , O as in "woman" and some kind of open mid vowel in between Ah and Uh

All other vowels must be directed towards these three so it is best to use those three only when learning curbing.

Hope this is useful.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/37336386/Curbing.mp3

Thanks a lot Nalyd !!!!

I thought "there" in "I know there's someone out there" was in curbing, but then obviously it's in overdrive and all the rest is in curbing.

Or is everything he does in neutral and for the louder parts in curbing ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4X-yCLowjJY

Here's a test that I've done for this song. Don't forget to lower the volume a bit before playing it !!!!

https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/Photos/talkin%20to%20the%20moon%20test%20-%20Output%20-%20Stereo%20Out.mp3?w=AADXyoBH8nDojODx-ASrvm5lDpa_3tSNAOgNz7CKnB0ZtQ

Here's a test that I've done for this song. Don't forget to lower the volume a bit before playing it !!!!

https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/Photos/talkin%20to%20the%20moon%20test%20-%20Output%20-%20Stereo%20Out.mp3?w=AADXyoBH8nDojODx-ASrvm5lDpa_3tSNAOgNz7CKnB0ZtQ

Click on the link and it requires you to sign in.

I would think that it is. CVT says that the way Stevie Wonder sings is mostly in curbing. Bruno Marrs seems to use the same type of sound. He definately uses the same style as Michael Jackson.

Thank you ! I thought that this was curbing due to the fact that I retained air which makes it sound louder. Isn't overdrive more like screaming with an open throat? Not really screaming but quite similar.

The book says curbing uses almost no air and has no breaks from C1-C6 it is the only half metallic mode. I think it means with a slightly "pouty" quality for example the "i" sounds a lot like "ee" and super twangy.

I am still not sure how to do curbing perfectly but most people say it is the hardest mode to master.

Bruno Mars uses all of the modes, like most interesting singers do. I used to look at clips and wonder what the mode was, but then I realised most people use at least 3 of the modes in any given song. If you were really to sing a whole song in one mode it would usually be boring. Unless you're singing a lullaby.

Bruno Mars uses all of the modes, like most interesting singers do. I used to look at clips and wonder what the mode was, but then I realised most people use at least 3 of the modes in any given song. If you were really to sing a whole song in one mode it would usually be boring. Unless you're singing a lullaby.

I aggree with you and it's not what I'm trying to do neither, that's why I want to use neutral, curbing and overdrive as well as twang and belting sometimes. I'm just trying to learn this mode, all the modes are like tools you can use to your creative process of singing.

I admit that I have not listened to all of Bruno Mars' songs. Most of the songs that I have heard has a "Cry" or "Whine" quality to the sound. That is what I have associated with "Curbing" Whether he uses other modes or not it is still consistent with a cry quality.

Just the use of dynamics may change the modes in a particular song or phrase.