Roadhouse blues ( trying a smokey voice )

• TMV World Legacy Member

I woke up this morning after a drinking night and my voice was a lower than usual.

I don't really know what happened, but i could mix up my usual tone with vocal fry, at least thats how it feels. I would like to know if the light rasp i got is the result of the false folds or simply creaking.

I will try tomorow again when my voice will be rested. I love this light rasp!

https://www.box.com/s/s8mbacjslj07w0aldur4

I liked it.

In the original, Jim says "Do it, Robby" which leads into Robby Krieger's blues scale solo.

And the lyric near the end should be "ashen lady," not "asian lady," which it sounds like you were singing. Phonetically, you can do it as "ah-shen lehdeh." Kind of a reference to a catholic woman who would normally observe Ash Wednesday. Jim's lyrics, while poetic, were always full of irony.

Anyway, cool sound.

:) Just goes to show you what a good night out drinking can do for you. :P

I like it.

"You need a strong foundation to reach the heights."

I liked it.

In the original, Jim says "Do it, Robby" which leads into Robby Krieger's blues scale solo.

And the lyric near the end should be "ashen lady," not "asian lady," which it sounds like you were singing. Phonetically, you can do it as "ah-shen lehdeh." Kind of a reference to a catholic woman who would normally observe Ash Wednesday. Jim's lyrics, while poetic, were always full of irony.

Anyway, cool sound.

I indeed though Jim was saying " asian lady " thinking it was a reference to the vietnam war. And then, " Give up your vows " because in times of war they could be widowed or abused. Thanks for the correction, I misconstrued the lyrics.

Yes i like Jim's texts. A few years ago i was reading a lot of poetry stuff and i stumbled on " An american prayer", and liked it a lot.

I am glad you guys like it. Gonna post a full cover and work more on the phrasing.

Regarding singing after drinking, i think it was Jim's own technique :-)

Well, it works to a certain extent. If you listen to LA Woman, you can hear Jim's vocal agony, the result of years of self abuse. And yet, damn, i love his voice on this album which, by the way, is for me one of their best.

I am glad you guys like it. Gonna post a full cover and work more on the phrasing.

Regarding singing after drinking, i think it was Jim's own technique :-)

Well, it works to a certain extent. If you listen to LA Woman, you can hear Jim's vocal agony, the result of years of self abuse. And yet, damn, i love his voice on this album which, by the way, is for me one of their best.

True that. It depends. Some pro singers I have read, might do a shot or two before a show.

Ronnie James Dio would drink a beer and then do an interview, then walk directly on stage and do his show.

Rob Halford would have a beer and a cigarette to relax before show time.

None of these things are recommended. But, other than these environmental effects, what is most important is how you sing.