How to develop my whistle register?

Rate this topic

Ddip579

So I discovered that I break into a whistle register around d6. I can only put vibrato on d6-f6. Although I can go up to an a6 but can't sustain those notes too long without starting to feel a strain. My question is, how can I develop this further? I want to give these notes a better sound, and to be able to go a little higher as well as breaking into the whistle register quicker than having to fish for it. Any advice?

My advice, whether people like it or not, will always be, don't develop it. You don't need it to be known as a great singer. Nor will you need those notes to sing 99 out of 100 songs. If you want to be a great singer, master your agility, tone, and power in the 4th octave, right around the passaggio. That area takes a lifetime to develop to perfection. Practicing whistle voice is IMO foolish until you have mastered a normal singing range. Do you want to be a mediocre singer with a nice little gimmick of stratospheric squeals, or a great singer within a commercially and artistically useful range? Your choice, but I just personally advise you to go for the latter if you want to be successful.