Mornings...

Rate this topic

How long should it take for me to sound normal in the mornings? I often attempt my vocal warm up maybe 30 minutes after waking and my voice still feels as if it is cracking a lot - sometimes I have to wait 1-2 hours before it feels normal. Any guesses as to why this is, and/or tips to warm up my voice quicker in the mornings? Thanks a lot.

I've just googled acid reflux and it's definitely not that serious, I've not experienced any of the other symptoms - I can still sing in the mornings bu I just seem to be a lot more croaky for the first hour or so.

I have that problem too, I find drinking lots of water and/or a good herbal tea before any singing at all and starting my warm-ups with mostly soft, low-register stuff (I think of it as waking my voice up gently) helps to get it going a little sooner.

Everyone is different.

Most everyone wakes up with phlegm and other stuff. Quit panicking just because you can't sing "Nessun Dorma" when you first wake and are peeing into the commode.

And some people, believe it or not, are just NOT morning singers. You might be one of those people.

Rejoice that you can sing and adjust your singing schedule accordingly. And I don't want to hear about how that is the only time you can sing. If you can't find another time to sing, I don't know what to tell you.

Aha, no I can find other times and have to, the only thing concerning me is that I occasionally go busking and if there was any way to speed up the warm up process i'd take it - I'll try the herbal tea and water Vin, thanks. And Ron, thanks for the advice, I will adjust my schedule if I can't speed this up a bit.

I probably sounded a bit harsh. Sorry.

What I really mean to say is to work with your voice, rather than against it.

For example, I am a morning singer. First thing in the morning, I can do insanely high notes. I can do them later, too. I get up at 4 am. Along about 8 pm, I have to concentrate a little more. So, my practice may be on the drive to work. On the drive home, I may just sing along with the radio.

For me personally it takes about an hour to get warmed up at any given part of the day! There is a very noticeable difference afterwards too. Basically easy songs help the most, easy enough so that they don't exhaust you.

I also have tried drinking lots of different teas, throat spray, etc. while singing to see if it helps anything. The most effective treatment for cold voice is warming up lol!

For me personally it takes about an hour to get warmed up at any given part of the day! There is a very noticeable difference afterwards too. Basically easy songs help the most, easy enough so that they don't exhaust you.

I also have tried drinking lots of different teas, throat spray, etc. while singing to see if it helps anything. The most effective treatment for cold voice is warming up lol!

That's all part of doing what your voice can do. Nothing wrong with that. And I am not talking about limits or voice types.

And I think many people are so keen on finding the magic pill, for a number of reasons. One perfect technique that will let them do whatever it is they want to do. It does not exist. Unless you want to consider dedication and diligence the magic pill.

Others want a specific system with a set of hard rules and degrees of technicality. It removes liability from themselves. If they fail, they can blame the system, teacher, whatever.

When you find what works for you, do that.

Another part of singer development includes is getting a tough hide. No matter what you do as a singer, not everyone will be a fan. My old working friend, John, loves Geoff Tate, cannot stand Axl Rose. Que sera, sera. Essa Bida.

So, when you do something you know was good and you liked it and some others liked it and then someone else didn't like it and says "do this, do that," take that in stride. The hard part for me has been to graciously accept the opnion and let it go. But I get better, slowly, but surely. :D

This probably belongs in another thread but I was inspired by this one.

How long should it take for me to sound normal in the mornings? I often attempt my vocal warm up maybe 30 minutes after waking and my voice still feels as if it is cracking a lot - sometimes I have to wait 1-2 hours before it feels normal. Any guesses as to why this is, and/or tips to warm up my voice quicker in the mornings? //I've just googled acid reflux and it's definitely not that serious, I've not experienced any of the other symptoms

Croaky-cracky voice for the first hour or two is VERY common with reflux irritation, kind of a signature. Other most-common throat-related symptoms are unstable midrange (register break gets harder to maneuver); and there's a lump-in-throat-feeling or sensation of extra phlegm, like an itch that clearing-throat doesnt quite scratch.

And I see lots of patients who have no symptoms of acid reflux OTHER than changes in the voice. So I would recommend going to a good voice doctor (someone other than Dr. Google) to get your throat looked at.

Meantime do NOT push to sound/feel normal when voice is not working right. That only trains you in straining more effectively e.g. bad habits go deeper ... Try a long hot shower (steam inhalation) in the morning, and cut out alcohol and most coffee—The Biggest Culprits for reflux, in my experience. Tolerate a couple weeks of that experiment (while waiting for your MD appointment), and see if you notice any difference vocally.

And hey everyone my book on self-care is now available on Kindle, at least in the USA. lots of info there -- thanks & be well