Question about staccato "ha ha ha"

Rate this topic

Alright, so let's say you're doing a staccato "ha ha ha" with a little breath between each "ha". Your throat is open, so it doesn't really feel like a regular inhale; you're just relaxing, letting the stomach flop out a little, and air rushes in to fill it.

Do you try to only take in as much air as you're going to need for the next "ha"? Or do you just relax and let the air come in as fast as it wants? I know the former is the common wisdom for singing songs, but the latter feels (and sounds) better when I'm actually doing the exercise.

I remember reading somewhere that you don't want stale air in your lungs at the onset of your next phrase; you pretty much want to have the tank empty when you go for your inhale. Does that apply to "ha ha ha"?

This is kind of hard to explain but when do a lot of these this my belly button goes in a little bit each "ha" and my sternum goes out at the same time, while at the same time my belly button is slowly going over time, although still going in a little bit more with each onset.

I definitely don't get empty on this exercise. Even if I let out all of the air I could and tood in no breath I would still be able to do several "ha's" without getting any new air. I think it is impossible to do it in the one way you described it.

I'm personally not a believer in purposely managing the air so that you have nothing left at the end of each phrase. That's not to say you should inhale so much that you tense up. But definitely go for the latter out of what you mentioned. Even with singing. IMO it's good to have some air left over kept in the lungs so that you remain in control at the end of phrases. Many people may disagree but I find that approach of working exclusively with the last fraction of your lung capacity, never fully filling the lungs, just leads to a closed throat, clunky offsets, and lots of unnecessary abdominal fatigue.

I think it's best to work at a comfortable amount of pressure in the lungs, similar to natural breathing. In singing you need to inhale a little more and exhale a little longer than if you were breathing or speaking, but I believe the bulk of it should still be centered in that natural, middle region. If you are spending most of your time singing in an exhalation-like position or inhalation-like position the whole time you are wasting effort.

Cool man, thanks. I think you're right about emptying out being impossible, now that you mention it; I guess it'd be more appropriate to ask if I should be moderating the size of my inhale at all. I feel most comfortable when I'm doing it naturally, which seems to be the way you described it, so I'll stick with that. Gotta check in every now and then and make sure I'm not missing the point in an exercise haha. Thanks for your help!

Edit: Thanks to you too, Owen! Makes good sense to me.