Am I good at singing and what I should work on

• TMV World Legacy Member

Not good John.

Pitchy, no emotion, flat, nasally, more talking then singing style, no sustain, no support.

You need training ... then try again...

thanks, do you know how I can stop being so nasally I sound nasal WAY to much and its hard to stop.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but nasality is not your problem. The problem is that you don't know how to sing. Teaching you to sing is beyond the scope of this thread. You need a vocal instructor. If you are still in school, sign up for Chorus, Choir, or whatever they are calling it these days. Check out your local churches. See if the choir director will work with you. If you can afford it, use the forum's vocal instructor directory to find a teacher in your area. Good luck!:)

I think that your voice sounds nasal because you are too close to the microphone, aren't you?. You should work on scales to improve your tone and your ear. I think the color of your voice is something that can improve with proper trainning. If you really like singing try with classes or try by yourself but honestly it would be nice if you take some classes to learn the basic stuff.

More suggestions:

Are you still in school? Sign up for drama, public speaking, debate club, etc. This will strengthen your voice. Talk to your pastor, minister, preacher, or whatever you call him. Ask him for advice on public speaking. If you have ever been in a southern baptist church, you know the power that preachers have in their voice. They can raise the roof. A powerful speaking voice is easily trained into a powerful singing voice.

People that talk a lot will generally strengthen their voice, I strengthened my voice one summer when I took a temporary job in telemarketing. My job was to talk on the phone for 8 hours a day, 40 hours a week. I don't recommend that you do that, but if you are the shy and quiet type that doesn't talk much, then it's time to find fun social activities that encourage you out of your shell and get you to speak with volume and confidence. This will safely strengthen the vocal folds as well as help you to "find" your voice. You will find resonance and proper placement of the vowel sounds if you work at it. Seize every opportunity to speak in front of a group of people. Read aloud to yourself alone in your room if that works. Read poetry and song lyrics. Buy a metronome, and read song lyrics in time to the metronome.

Man, that sounds like a lot of work. You should try my way. A deal with Satan to have the folds of destiny.

\m/

Just kidding. Good advice, already in here. It's a skill to be learned, even for those who were blessed with some natural talent. They worked at it very hard. And so will you.

More suggestions:

Are you still in school? Sign up for drama, public speaking, debate club, etc. This will strengthen your voice. Talk to your pastor, minister, preacher, or whatever you call him. Ask him for advice on public speaking. If you have ever been in a southern baptist church, you know the power that preachers have in their voice. They can raise the roof. A powerful speaking voice is easily trained into a powerful singing voice.

People that talk a lot will generally strengthen their voice, I strengthened my voice one summer when I took a temporary job in telemarketing. My job was to talk on the phone for 8 hours a day, 40 hours a week. I don't recommend that you do that, but if you are the shy and quiet type that doesn't talk much, then it's time to find fun social activities that encourage you out of your shell and get you to speak with volume and confidence. This will safely strengthen the vocal folds as well as help you to "find" your voice. You will find resonance and proper placement of the vowel sounds if you work at it. Seize every opportunity to speak in front of a group of people. Read aloud to yourself alone in your room if that works. Read poetry and song lyrics. Buy a metronome, and read song lyrics in time to the metronome.

This was my favorite reply. Thanks yah I'm 14. My next question is can I ever have a good singing voice?

From 1 to 10 , 10 being worst how bad am I?

9/10 people on here have the same problem plague, and they sound just like you do. If you really obsess over becoming a singer, and you listen and learn very closely to master vocalists in different styles, you will learn.

This was my favorite reply. Thanks yah I'm 14. My next question is can I ever have a good singing voice?

From 1 to 10 , 10 being worst how bad am I?

Practically anyone can develop a "decent" singing voice. The only exception would be someone that has some sort of physical defect in their "instrument". The voice is a "wind instrument". If a guitar is made with a cardboard neck, it won't sound good. If a person is born with a physical defect in the areas of the body that are used to sing, then you will not sound good. As far as I know this is extremely rare. Sometimes, people will develop small bumps on the folds called nodes from improper speaking or singing. This even happens to professionals, and sometimes requires an operation to return to normal. The two that I know of are Elton John and Tom Petty.

The odds are in your favor that you have a normal healthy instrument. You can keep it that way by avoiding things that are unhealthy for your voice, such as lack of sleep, dehydration, anxiety, screaming, eating and drinking things that make you cough, colds and sinus allergies, smoking, alcohol, and many other things.

Before I answer your last question, I want to tell you a little about my background and experience. I am 49 years old, and I have been singing since I was 6 years old. My sister and I sang in front of a full church audience on many occasions, and I also sang in the church choir. I joined marching band to play drums at about 11 or 12, and played through high school. I joined swing choir in high school. Since then, I have done a bit of self-study by reading a book and daily practicing exercises and scales for 45 minutes, followed by 45 minutes of singing songs that challenged me. I am a goofy person, and I like to make people laugh, so I have also developed some really goofy voices. I might have already mentioned that developing the goofy voices, as well as mimicking South Park and Family Guy characters. At one point, I developed an Ethel Merman singing voice. I can sing Robert Plant, Frank Sinatra, Bono, Steve Perry, Stevie Wonder, The Beatles, The Beach Boys, Elton John, and Nat King Cole, just to name a few. I have a very good ear, and I am a huge music fan. I have listened to thousands of hours of probably every voice type and style of music.

So, the previous paragraph was about establishing credibility. I also have respect for you because you have the guts to ask, "From 1 to 10 , with 10 being the worst, how bad am I?" The answer is: You are a solid 10. I was a much better singer than you when I started singing at age 5. I am sure that you won't be upset by this, because I can see that you want the truth. Your family and friends might not tell you the truth because they don't want to hurt your feelings. We are strangers who will never talk or meet, so you have chosen the perfect place to hear the truth. I have absolutely no reason at all to give you a 10 (worst). So, now that you know that you have absolutely no clue as to how to sing, you can focus on learning to sing. You can learn to sing. You can probably learn to sing well. You won't know until you try. Don't worry about failure. Don't worry about embarrassing yourself in front of others. Don't compare your progress to others. Start now, and by the time you are out of high school, you should have improved dramatically. :) Good luck!

Practically anyone can develop a "decent" singing voice. The only exception would be someone that has some sort of physical defect in their "instrument". The voice is a "wind instrument". If a guitar is made with a cardboard neck, it won't sound good. If a person is born with a physical defect in the areas of the body that are used to sing, then you will not sound good. As far as I know this is extremely rare. Sometimes, people will develop small bumps on the folds called nodes from improper speaking or singing. This even happens to professionals, and sometimes requires an operation to return to normal. The two that I know of are Elton John and Tom Petty.

The odds are in your favor that you have a normal healthy instrument. You can keep it that way by avoiding things that are unhealthy for your voice, such as lack of sleep, dehydration, anxiety, screaming, eating and drinking things that make you cough, colds and sinus allergies, smoking, alcohol, and many other things.

Before I answer your last question, I want to tell you a little about my background and experience. I am 49 years old, and I have been singing since I was 6 years old. My sister and I sang in front of a full church audience on many occasions, and I also sang in the church choir. I joined marching band to play drums at about 11 or 12, and played through high school. I joined swing choir in high school. Since then, I have done a bit of self-study by reading a book and daily practicing exercises and scales for 45 minutes, followed by 45 minutes of singing songs that challenged me. I am a goofy person, and I like to make people laugh, so I have also developed some really goofy voices. I might have already mentioned that developing the goofy voices, as well as mimicking South Park and Family Guy characters. At one point, I developed an Ethel Merman singing voice. I can sing Robert Plant, Frank Sinatra, Bono, Steve Perry, Stevie Wonder, The Beatles, The Beach Boys, Elton John, and Nat King Cole, just to name a few. I have a very good ear, and I am a huge music fan. I have listened to thousands of hours of probably every voice type and style of music.

So, the previous paragraph was about establishing credibility. I also have respect for you because you have the guts to ask, "From 1 to 10 , with 10 being the worst, how bad am I?" The answer is: You are a solid 10. I was a much better singer than you when I started singing at age 5. I am sure that you won't be upset by this, because I can see that you want the truth. Your family and friends might not tell you the truth because they don't want to hurt your feelings. We are strangers who will never talk or meet, so you have chosen the perfect place to hear the truth. I have absolutely no reason at all to give you a 10 (worst). So, now that you know that you have absolutely no clue as to how to sing, you can focus on learning to sing. You can learn to sing. You can probably learn to sing well. You won't know until you try. Don't worry about failure. Don't worry about embarrassing yourself in front of others. Don't compare your progress to others. Start now, and by the time you are out of high school, you should have improved dramatically. :) Good luck!

that another point, i could sing better when i was five then now. But ever since puberty hit my voice is cracky and pitchy.

He's 14 years old... His voice hasnt setteled... Just sing bro get a teacher and youll voice will become really good. Boys in your age generally have problems singing due to puberty.

And to all who posted negative comments in this thread please upload a clip when you where 14 years old and then well talk...

Jens it's not impossible to sing when 14. I have recordings when I was 15, and I started at 14. He can very well learn and should be treated so. :|

Jens, stop being an idiot. It's a place for critique. It doesn't matter what anyone else sounded like when they were 14... The forum topic isn't " Powder my arse and boost my ego "... It's Review and Critique... They (including me) reviewed and Critiqued. You give good advice at times, but usually find a way to make yourself annoying and non-topical. Grow up and stay focused!

OP, your voice will continue to grow and find it's placement, when you age a bit more... Don't get discouraged, as Jens mentioned, you are just 14 and A LOT of 14 year olds have doubts and issues through this period with singing..

Find a good teacher (even online such as Robert or Ken, or someone like that), so you learn the proper techniques and control..... This will give you what you need - Now, and especially in the future!...

Jens, stop being an idiot. It's a place for critique. It doesn't matter what anyone else sounded like when they were 14... The forum topic isn't " Powder my arse and boost my ego "... It's Review and Critique... They (including me) reviewed and Critiqued. You give good advice at times, but usually find a way to make yourself annoying and non-topical. Grow up and stay focused!

Well I honestly cant help it mate, I just wish people could be abit nicer and focus more on whats good and not whats bad. If that makes me an idiot than so be it im an idiot then.

I belive we grow from our strenghts, and also singing should be fun and exploring and supportive. People are no babies.

Jens: It's different for each person. I personally grown on compliments. I have a friend who grows on critiques. Either way, a mix of the two is always best.

Well its not sounding good as it was mentioned, kinda of speaking the whole song.

Good orientation, work on it and good luck!

About potential and singing well as a child, irrelevant. The potential depends only on what you do from now on. Your voice will change and orientation and planning is more important than immediate results.

Singing is emotional, passionate and tells a story. Kind of like acting.

It is not like speaking on pitch. There are also dynamics to concider (loud, soft, happy,sad). Melodies.

One of the troubles with learning from musicals is that usually the songs are just conversations set to music.

Or someone saying their thoughts outloud to music in a melodic way.

Post a song that is not from a musical but one that would be heard on a radio.

Sing radio type songs often.

And as other have said seek a coach or teacher. If musicals are what you want to do take drama classes at school.

At 14 ,or any age for that matter, It depends on what you do from here on that will determine what you can do in the future.

"You need a strong foundation to reach the heights."

My comment about my own abilities at age 6 was simply to establish my credentials. I also want him to understand that I know the level at which he could potentially be today. I hope no one thought that I was saying that so that plague would consider quitting, or that I am boasting. I was doing my best to walk on egg shells. I am merely seeking to motivate him. However, having said that, the thread is called "...Critique My Singing". This is where people come to find out what others think of their singing.

I do apologize if I sounded negative. This reminds me that I should really limit comments about my own abilities. Many people take it the wrong way.

My new friend plague said, " I could sing better when I was five than I can now. But ever since puberty hit, my voice is cracky and pitchy."

If you had told us this in the beginning, it would have explained at least part of your problem. I went through puberty at an earlier age, and I had problems just like the average young singer when their voice changes so drastically. I have no idea if there are ways to deal with this. Maybe someone else can help with that. It is totally normal for your voice to crack and to have sudden changes in pitch during this period in your life. No need to worry, because it will go away when the changes are complete, and that whole process doesn't take a long time.

Hope this helps... :cool:

• 1 month later...

I'm really sorry to necropost, but I just saw les miserables over the summer at the west end. It mae me realise when im singing a song that was put out by broadway/west end that i should sing that versian, not the dumb movie versian