Question about Diaphragmatic breathing

Rate this topic

Vinziant

I've been thinking about over the last two years I've been sing it was only after my second year I finally got the hang of diaphragmatic breathing but at times I lose it are there some exercises to strength my breathing more

Inhale by relaxing the belly. That is, allow the inhalation to happen, don't force it, don't inhale the largest amount you can take in.

Control the exhale. Do this by making the ng sound, mouth closed or even slightly open. Pick one note. Do this for as long as you comfortably can. No big secret, just do it. At first, you will wear out or break because you will push too much air. Keep doing it until you can meter the air and change flow and pressure. I like what Rach said in another thread. Air flow and sub-glottal pressure are inversely proportional.

And it can take a while to get in shape. Bruce Dickinson pointed out that when IM had been off tour for a while and were rehearsing to go back on tour, it would take him a month to get his abs back in shape. He might only do 3 full songs in the first rehearsal. And his gut would feel like he did too many sit-ups. But he knew he was okay if he felt no strain in his throat.

Thanks so much man that's how it felt relaxed when I'm doing it right u clicked it in my head man!!! One time in my voice lessson, it got to a point where all I was doing was breathing and sound came out nicely, but after that it never happened again :( but voice class was canceled for 2 weeks and I tryed praticing Wat I remember feeling but it didn't work I could get it

I always feel that breath management is always engaged. Mobile and agile. Which might feel like a strain, at first, as long as it is a strain in the "core," as Bob would call it. Another thing, too, per the wisdom of Bruce. If you are getting too tired at first, give it a rest. Otherwise, you will start compensating in your throat and that will lead to bad habits. So, give yourself time for the breathing apparatus to catch up to where you are. I sing just about every day. So, I don't feel "strain" in the abs. But what if I took a month or so off from singing and some of that coordination slipped or lagged? I might go through a time of feeling worn out down below the ribs until I "got back in shape."

So, I may not always be the one to best comment on singing without strain. It doesn't feel like strain to me. But then, I think, any activity one does constantly is going to have some training effect. It's what the body does. Muscles rebuild leaner, denser, to handle expected work load. It's how you are even able to walk. Repeated walking tones the muscles to handle the endurance.

And walking muscles can fatigue if you walk long enough, in spite of "being in good shape." Same goes for singing muscles. If we are always going to talk about muscular development in singing, well then, people need to quit thinking of singing muscles as somehow magically different than any other muscles in the body. They are not. And, like any muscle, they can be fatigued. There is no "magic pill" exercise that makes your singing muscles any different than any other muscle group in the body.

There, that's my tough love for the day.

if i had to pick only one breathing exercise to do, it would leaking air on the exhale while keeping the entire lower core engaged and expanded.

yes, it's difficult at first.... but you will get a point where you feel like you don't actively need to inhale to sing anymore. you simply engage your support and all the air you need to sing is there.