how many times a week should one vocalize/warm up?

Rate this topic

IMO every single day, if possible.

But I wouldn't go balls to the walls hour and a half of full voice singing every single day. Do the more intense sessions maybe 4-5 times a week, for 45 minutes to an hour, if you have that kind of time available. And you can split the hour up into multiple shorter sessions, that can be helpful. But I still think at least once a week you should do it as a full long session to challenge your endurance.

Then for the remaining days of the week outside of the 4-5/wk full sessions, still practice, but for a shorter amount of time or practice lighter exercises/singing.

I think for most people, your daily schedule, commitments, etc. are gonna naturally limit you from over singing, so just try to practice as much as you can within the time you have and you'll probably end up practicing the right amount.

Personally, during the school year I don't really have enough time to necessarily get an hour in five times a week, so I just do my best to fit in what I can.

I sing every day, I just don't pay attention to how long that is. However, I do sing most of the time on the drive home in the afternoon, which averages 1 1/2 hours. I don't really care to start a stopwatch. Then, again, I may not be a good example. I have broken pretty much every rule there is.

How many times do some of you sing/vocalize? What's healthy or unhealthy(overusing your voice)? Is it ok to practise every single day, or is time off important?

I read your other post, so I know that you are working with a teacher. Your teacher should be the one to tell you how long to practice. You haven't told us how old you are, when you started singing, how much singing you have done all of those years, etc. You say you are a pop singer, and you occasionally train with a bel canto teacher. Are you a professional singer, or are you trying to become a professional singer? People have different singing goals, so please tell us as much about your musical self as you can.

For now, I will assume that your goal is to become a professional singer. Assuming that you have studied and applied the correct techniques at this point, then I would suggest 45 minutes of warm-ups/exercises/scales, followed immediately with singing from your song list for 45 minutes. There are some highly knowledgeable female singers in this forum, so hopefully they will step in here to tell you if you should be doing this daily, but I have followed that routine for at least six months straight in the past. I am male, so it might be different with females.

I find that I sing much better if I practice at least a little every day. Like the other guys were saying, do what you can when you can.

Hope this helps... :cool:

Oh yeah, just to clarify... I do go by the clock for my hour and a half. That is the recommended time in the book I studied, so I just follow that routine. It is always a very positive experience for me, and I don't recall any voice fatigue. It makes my voice stronger. Just don't push yourself physically. Stay safe, and you will be fine

Get to know your voice, there is no general answer. It's diffrent between singers, a trained singer will however be able to sing for longer periods of time than an untrained one. Sing for as long it feels good

Its quite wise to include at least one day of rest on the weekly schedule. I cant say I do it anymore... Got me something to think about actually.

But thinking on trainning, unless you have some very weird issues that are better dealt with by an ENT, the exercises should not bash you to the point of fatigue or taking the next day off. Its coordination building, so what gets worked is your brain. With the exception of support that can get really physical.

thanks guys. Yes, I am aiming to become a professional.

Probably the shortest show is that of W.A.S.P., averaging 1.5 hours. Blackie prefers to leave the audiences wanting more.

To, Led Zeppelin during the mid 70's, averaging at least 3 hours, with a lot of it being instrumental improvisation. Jimmy Page never played a song the same way twice.

So, as a professional singer, you might expect something approximately like 2 hours at the height of your career. With funny banter with the audience in between songs. Some songs with lots of instrumental sections so that you can introduce other members of the band. That is, you are not singing every second of 2 hours.

My "ready" set is usually 5 or 6 songs. Songs that I can play at the drop of a hat with someone's borrowed guitar at a party. Almost an hour worth, if I stretch to songs that are not in normal rotation. I am fairly good at improvisation so if I mess something up, most people won't know that I botched a chord progression.

:lol:

I practice 4-5 times a week, anywhere from 2-4 hours a day generally. I spend about 20-25 minutes warming up my voice in the morning, and then 30 minute stretches throughout my day whenever possible and light vocalizing when I'm not surrounded by people who will look at me weird. It feels like I have to practice a lot more than others, but I am pretty much the opposite of a natural singer. I do not speak in a mode that is conducive to singing so I have to constantly be aware of shifting the coordinations used or speaking in a different coordination. Vocalizing throughout the day helps that. Song practice is maybe at least an hour at least once a day.

It's a good idea to have some sort of time off in your routine, at least weekly like Felipe says. If you can't, at least healthy light vocalizing will help heal you up.