Critique my voice

Rate this topic

I don't know the song. For right now, you are singing too low for your voice. And, it sounds like a capella and you are losing the key, as you waver a bit. So, don't worry, at least right now, you don't sound like what I think of as a baritone, even if you are singing some notes that sound or feel low, to you.

It also sounds like you are concentrating too much, trying to be perfect. Let it go. Sing the song like you mean it, not like how you think we should hear it. Sing it like you wrote. There might still be some problems to fix but at least, then, we will hear your real voice.

Here is the link to the original song. The singer is Adele, the song title is "Skyfall", from the crappy James Bond movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaJEmq209LA

1. Your topic heading says"critique my voice". We already know what you want, otherwise you are posting in the wrong place. Help us help you. Always put the name of the song and the name of the original singer in the title. If you have room left, give more information.

2. Pick another song by a MALE singer that feels comfortable to sing, and one that is sung as "straight and pure" as possible without trying to sound like someone else. A simple and easy song that everyone knows is the best way to get people to comment.

3. Ask people in the forum how to record a song. The iPhone ain't gonna cut it. You might want to beg, borrow, steal, or possibly even buy a mike and recording software.

4. Find some warm-up exercises online. Relax the neck and shoulders. Warm-up for at least 15 minutes, then run through the song until it sounds good. Now you are ready to record.

5. Sing in full voice. That means a relaxed open throat, neutral larynx position, proper use of the diaphragm and core muscles. For most beginners, this requires standing. Stand with your feet about 6 inches apart. Now, slide one foot forward about 3 inches. Find your balance. Now sing.

In other words, you gotta do it again with a different song by a male singer that is in your comfortable range, and then I will be happy to give feedback. As nearly as I can tell, you have a lot of work to do. ;) I look forward to your next recording.

One thing I also picked up on is the volume. Try and bring it up a little bit if you can. The volume for singing should be around a clear calling voice, like calling 'hey you, over there' NOT shouting though. This helps with the tone as well. Or another way to put it is 6/7 out of 10 on a scale of 1-10 (1 being silent) I'm not saying there can be no dynamics but I think you'd benefit from generally bringing the volume up on your voice. Well done for sharing though :D

One thing I also picked up on is the volume. Try and bring it up a little bit if you can. The volume for singing should be around a clear calling voice, like calling 'hey you, over there' NOT shouting though. This helps with the tone as well. Or another way to put it is 6/7 out of 10 on a scale of 1-10 (1 being silent) I'm not saying there can be no dynamics but I think you'd benefit from generally bringing the volume up on your voice. Well done for sharing though :D

I agree 100%. :cool:

Will, I have to say, there are number of new guys who come in, wanting to sing songs sung by women.

As opposed to old rockers like me, who sounds like a woman.

:lol:

I try to judge each case on its own merit.

You don't sound like a women ron.. you sound like a guy who left his **** in his wifes purse.. there's a difference.. hahaha..

Joking.. seriously though.. I don't think your voice is " lady like "..

Will, I have to say, there are number of new guys who come in, wanting to sing songs sung by women.

I try to judge each case on its own merit.

That's cool, Ron. People should sing whatever they want. I am just saying that it is easier for the beginner to work on a song that is sung by their own gender. I know it was easier for me back in the day. Nowadays, I might practice a song like Judy Garland's "Over The Rainbow", doing my best to match her tone to see how closely I can get to it. That is a hell of a lot of fun. :lol:

For beginners, and anyone else that wants a critique, (IMO) they should sing a familiar song that best fits their natural voice. This allows almost anyone with a good ear to compare them to the original. The easiest way to determine your level of ability is to see if you can match the original singer.

I am probably not explaining myself very well. I hope someone that agrees will add a comment.

Thanks, Onacor. It's probably mental, to me. I hear my mother's voice in mine.

And then, when I sing along with Heart in the original key and I "think" I sound like Anne, I wonder.

:lol: :lol: