Working on Baba O'Riley.

• TMV World Legacy Member

For me, this is pretty good. So I'm mostly pleased with it. I got lazy with my thirds in the beginning and they ended up being flat. I'm glad I recorded this because I actually didn't notice it as I was doing it. I was pulling a bit too much chest on those. When they were in tune, they were being sung in a lighter voice every time.

Singing begins around 1:15

Edit: Here's an a capella one for those who think they can handle it. :lol:

For me, this is pretty good. So I'm mostly pleased with it. I got lazy with my thirds in the beginning and they ended up being flat. I'm glad I recorded this because I actually didn't notice it as I was doing it. I was pulling a bit too much chest on those. When they were in tune, they were being sung in a lighter voice every time.

Singing begins around 1:15

Edit: Here's an a capella one for those who think they can handle it. :lol:

You are singing in two completely unblended registers. The predominant register is your "Axel Rose" falsetto. Since it isn't blended or connected to your chest register, it lacks the fullness and overtones it requires to sound decent. Roger Daltrey did not use falsetto in this song. I just now listened to it, although I have heard it hundreds of times in my life. I am 49, and was a Who fan in the 1970s. I have sung this song many times in my life. Falsetto is completely unnecessary, and sounds really awful for this Arena Rock song.

Your chest voice is practically non-existent in this song. When you drop from the falsetto to chest, you sound like you dumped all of your air in the transition. The chest voice notes are completely unsupported, and they just kinda tumble out and down to the floor, hardly reaching the mike.

Hope this helps :cool:

Personally, I wouldn't call it falsetto, It sounds super twangy to me.

However, it doesn't really matter what you call it. What's important is that it's not the sound you want for this song. 80's power metal perhaps but Daltrey uses a full head voice or a mix (blend of chest and head) again, terms don't matter, call it what you want!

This twangy sound is a step closer to finding this full head sound though, use it as a tool for building co-ordination, not for a finished song.

I didn't think it was all that bad though, still, plenty to work on :D

Professional vocalist in Devon, England. Here's the link to my website: [url=http://www.ginaellenvocalist.co.uk/]professional vocalist in Devon[/url]
[url=https://soundcloud.com/gina-ellen]My soundcloud[/url]

I agree with what is being said. Too masky, too much twang, too axl rose, too bright, too quacky, whatever you wanna call it.

Get your larynx lower. Train with amplification so you can really listen to your tone, go for a darker sound. More of a boomy, chesty aesthetic

That's the main thing you need to work on.

I have to agree with the other thoughts, here. I, too, am an old guy. Believe it or not, when I was a teenager, my two favorite bands were Kansas and the Who. I have also sang this song a number of times. Never used whiny falsetto, ala Axl Rose.

So, my advice is to either sing it lower, where you really have some full tone, or do a full-on Axl Rose style cover. That is, don't halfway do it, pick a direction and stick with it.