Which is the correct technique? Approaching the vocal bridge

Rate this topic

leebanana

So i've recorded myself and i describe what i'm feeling - if you understand where i'm coming from, please help me!

https://soundcloud.com/leebanana/tmv

I think i am using more of the pharyngeal resonator in the first example, and more of the chest in the second. I can slide that G4 up to C5 with ease in both examples and then back down to c3 with no issues to transition back to chest voice.

Can understand where you're coming from :D They are both applicable to different styles in my opinion. But the second is probably what you are after mostly. The B3 (sorry wasn't a C4 was a B3, Just a note lower) to the F#4 was good but from there you went into a more falsetto-y (is that a word, i don't think so!) configuration up to the c5. The first bit (of the second slide) was good though and sounds like you are on the right track, do scales and try and get one note higher each time. If it feels like you are straining then you are! good that it doesn't feel strained at the moment, it doesn't sound it. That second slide from the F#4 to the c5 is what you want to work on, try and do it slower than in the clip, you where just whizzing past it. Practice both types of slides, they will both be useful. Do you have a vocal program or are you just picking up tips on this forum?

Hi Leebanana,

To me you are lacking support or proper body connection in both examples. Also, are you aware that you are starting the sound with an 'h'?

Before you learn how to bridge, you need a good foundation so start by working those notes around C4 and make them good and strong. Then you will have something to bridge from!

Hope this helps,

Nick

okay sweet, and Gina, i am with a program but not Lunte's one. I plan on buying the four pillars series soon though.

What do you mean by more support? As in taking deep breaths from the diaphragm? I'm a little worried.. is my technique right though?

One quick way of getting the idea of support. You are angry at a child or upset and you feel like yelling at them but you do not want to scare them by getting too loud. So you speak in your normal voice but inside you are yelling. "Would you PLEASE STOP KICKING BE IN THE LEG. I AM TRYING TO TALK TO YOUR MOTHER!!!!" :P

Sounds good to me. They don't sound that different. The first one you're probably in "neutral". The second starts off in with a heavier weight- (more TA). Your slide up and down sounds nice and connected. Gina is right, both have their uses - one is not "better" than the other.