Passaggio Fast or Slow

Rate this topic

In your experience is it better to approach passaggio fast or slow? As in how quickly you are ascending or descending pitch. What is better for "growing" the voice and why. Ofcourse both are ideal but if you had to choose one what would it be...

Going slow and steady (regardless of failure)

Or fast and furious (regardless of failure)

Thanks all!

- JayMC

Regardless of failure?

You understand that if you repeat a brake 80 times while thinking on this issue, you made the problem worse?

Slow, legatto, and with small chances of failure.

The solution for failures is not endless repetitions of the problem, but simplifying it in a way that you dont fail. Even if it means doing something that do not involve the passaggio directly.

My personal opinion is slow and steady. If you have successfully done the "Lift up Pull Back" exercises of Roberts' program. Slowly add more power at the transition point.

When I am doing a slide exercise there will be times when I know I am about to flip or break . I stop at that point and start again. I do not continue the slide until it feels right and I can go higher without flipping or breaking.

When you go slower you can tell when things are going wrong and can readjust so you can continue without breaking.

I'd say experiment with a quiet edgy sound. Nothing too harsh just so you can feel the coordination. Then take the messa di voce onset from the 6 TVS onsets video.

I've been imitating Justin Timberlake the best I can around C4-F4 and it's been making navigating that area ever so easy.

Do it slow, it allows you to take control rather than skipping over and making a sloppy job of it.

Also do some staccato edge exercises so you can get used to using thin edges of the cords and make more precise sounds.

The only exercises I use now are:

Mastering Mix CD1 for chest and I do both Male and Female

Mastering Mix CD2 for head again both Male and Female

Some pharyngeal exercises then straight on with TVS stuff

All for an hour, warm down, 30 mins rest then on with practicing songs.

Practice/Warm up as you wish to sing. Mum Mum Mum doesn't do it for me anymore.

My personal opinion is slow and steady. If you have successfully done the "Lift up Pull Back" exercises of Roberts' program. Slowly add more power at the transition point.

When I am doing a slide exercise there will be times when I know I am about to flip or break . I stop at that point and start again. I do not continue the slide until it feels right and I can go higher without flipping or breaking.

When you go slower you can tell when things are going wrong and can readjust so you can continue without breaking.

both.

another thing you can do is interval jumps going up a half step each time.

you can also practice transitioning early and late..late by singing strongly and staying in the full voice narrowing the vowel as you go up.

just some suggestions from the "hard and heavy guy."...lol!!!

Regardless of failure?

You understand that if you repeat a brake 80 times while thinking on this issue, you made the problem worse?

Slow, legatto, and with small chances of failure.

The solution for failures is not endless repetitions of the problem, but simplifying it in a way that you dont fail. Even if it means doing something that do not involve the passaggio directly.

Profound and brilliant, Felipe. Practicing a mistake just results in a well-rehearsed mistake. Fix the problem, let the mistake die a withering death due to lack of use.